Posts by debbiecakes75

It definitely depends on what county you live in.  I am in west central WI and I didn't think it was very difficult to get licensed.  I contacted the Dept. of Agriculture and asked what I needed to do.  The requirements were to take a food safety class and have an inspection (pay the inspection fee).  I started out in the fall of 2012 by renting a nearby (already inspected) commercial kitchen and that location was listed on my license.  In the meantime, we built our own...
YES, YES and YES to this!   I applaud you for standing up for all of us home cake businesses. Yes, we are most definitely part of the industry and shouldn't be scorned just because we haven't taken that road and confined ourselves to a storefront 24/7! I am a home baker as well with a separate licensed kitchen. I recently responded to another thread about pricing and was accused of charging too little and was belittled for being "just" a home baker and not setting my...
In all of the wedding expos/bridal fairs that I've been a vendor at, we (and all other cake vendors) have always handed out free samples.  I'm not sure if other parts of the country are different or not, but attendees usually have to pay a fee to get in, so they expect free samples.   I use 2 oz clear containers with lids.  I quarter unfrosted cupcakes, place them into the containers, and top it with a dollop of buttercream.  I like this method because I can do it a day...
justdesserts...My layer cakes (rounds or squares), which have more layers and are much higher than my sheet cakes, are $3 - $4 per serving.  My "sheet" cakes are much less per serving, since they only have 2 thinner cake layers and 1 layer of filling.  So a 13x9 is $40, approximately $1.60 per serving.  All of the cake shops near me price their sheet cakes less per serving than their other cakes.
itsacake: Even though I do not have a storefront and am a licensed home baker, I still have expenses.  There's no reason to "get crazy" over my pricing and assume I'm bringing down the price in my area because you think it's too low.  I am not "training customers to expect that as a reasonable price for cake", my competitors have already set the price in this area (I did my research before setting my prices).  My prices are very comparable to them, and they do have...
I'm getting more requests for smaller tiered wedding cakes and then supplemental sheet cakes as well.  It's a budget thing and I like to accommodate as best I can, while still staying firm on my prices.  I make sure that I let me brides/customers know that MY sheet cakes aren't like to cheap ones you'd get at Walmart, Sam's etc and that is why they cost more.  Most customers think this is completely reasonable and will book.  Those who don't, aren't in my target market...
I agree with kikiandkyle...   I've been designing cakes for family & friends for several years, but just recently made the jump to make it official.  Last October I became licensed, started renting a commercial kitchen and was officially open for business.  While renting, my husband and I renovated our home to accommodate an IN HOME licensed kitchen.  It was finished by June 1st and was THE best decision we have ever made!  I live in a rural area, but market to a larger...
Oh yes, I'll give that one a try too!  Thanks bct806 and BatterUpCake :)
Yeah, I can't just use lace to make an impression, because the lace design this bride wants I had to draw by hand.  It looks like I'm going to have to try a sample using the piping gel method and see how that goes.  I just hate the fact of having to pipe this design twice per layer--once for a template and again on the actual cake!    Thanks for the responses everyone :)
I'm making a wedding cake in a few weeks and the bride is requesting a detailed lace design.  The cake will be frosted in buttercream, and I plan on hand piping the lace onto the cake in buttercream as well.  I've done this type of piping before, but have never needed to follow an exact design as it was always freehand.  What is the best way to transfer the design to the cake when using crusting buttercream?