Posts by Thegalnextdoor

aak! I have tried many different methods with fresh berries to get a delightful pink tinge in my strawberry cake, all failed. Then one day, as I sat watching my three year old delightfully snacking away on some freeze dried strawberry bits, it came to me. "Why hadn't I thought of this before?" I said to myself. So, what I did was stew and reduce a basket of fresh berries, strained them, used that as the liquid for a white cake, I used a mix, but I'm sure you could figure...
  I use the Winbeckler's buttercream icing. When I first made it, I followed the directions exactly, but also watched the video. I also don't sub crisco for the high fat ratio shortening, I go to the store and read the labels, if one store doesn't have it, then I go the one across the street. Seriously, everyone loves this buttercream, sometimes, when there is a little left, I hide out and eat it with a spoon,...
 I figured it was a ruffle tip, I had never seen it till now. I'm hankering to bake a cake right up just so I can play with it, tip 403, that is. Thanks for the replies. If I fashion a stunning cake with this #403, I will certainly post pics, so that way in the future someone can maybe look and admire the awesomeness that is tip/tube #403  (:
 So, for my birthday, my MIL gifted me a bunch of cake decorating goodies. I'm just starting out, so there are so many tubes that I've never seen before. She gave me a box of large tubes, open star, large basketweave, closed star, a few other ones, and tube #403. I have a baby shower cake coming up, and I'm wondering if I could use #403 to do some ruffles along the bottom then make it even better with a small shell border along the top of the ruffle. Do any of you use...
I packed the iced cupcakes by the dozen, put 5 lbs.dry ice in bottom of cooler, then the boxes on top and filled empty space with butcher paper. My delivery plan ended up changing last minute, on the client's end, so I ended up bringing them to her half way since she said she would be in those parts anyway. I was extremely apprehensive about doing that since I'd worked so long on making each little flower and crown, with child's name in RI with wilton #1 tip, perfect. I...
I was thinking something a little taller with a nice gem on the top, but, I went ahead and gave it a go, made the buttercream, piped once around with a large star tip, and the recipe iced 4 dozen with about a tablespoon to spare. Funny, when I was weighing the ingredients and preparing everything, I said to myself "Hmm, maybe I ought to make this a 1 1/2 batch, ...nah" I went with it, made it how it was, but ended up running to the local mini mart to get more eggs. This...
Oh, and there are 5 dozen cupcakes I should mention.
So, here I am again and it's late, oops, I got these cupcakes wanting to be frosted, the recipe I'm going to use makes 5lbs, I'm thinking should I go for it and hope for the best, or run out to get more ingredients... what's your take on it?
Great! Good, good info, thanks so much!
Totally annoying! I have started inspecting the liners while at the store. If they are opened up too much, I do not buy them. I usually notice this with packs of 75 or more. Yea, it's lame-o. I have purchased quite a few grease proof liners from bakeitpretty.com, and they are usually not squished, but they are costly, especially for big project. I LOVE the scalloped red liners, make every cupcake adorable.