Posts by helen_freud

i tried lindy's cake and had the exact same issues i did it for my friends son's birthday so luckily they wasnt paying me for it. she told me the taste was beautiful but it was so dry and it looked alittle undercooked even tho a knife came out clean. i will never use that recipe again but i am struggling to find one i feel happy with and that will hold the weight of all the marzipan and icing. i dont want to use a victoria sponge and it collapes on me.
can i put this into a 3" deep 8" round tin? or is that were im going wrong, am i putting too much mixture into my tins   helen
hi, i manily do chocolate cakes and have THE most perfect recipe that no one has had a bad thing to say about but when someone asks me for a normal sponge cake i panic slightly. i use a madeira cake recipe that is 300g butter 300g sugar 3 tsps vanilla 5 eggs 125ml of milk i tend to add more milk as the mixture is so thick and im worried it will turn out dry the cake tastes nice and still haventy had any complaints but im thinking there has to be a better recipe...
hi everyone i hope someone can help me x i baked 2 maderia cakes yesterday for my fiends little boys birthday and both ended up in the bin and ive never had a problem with this recipe before. the recipe i am using is; 300g butter 300g sugar 5 eggs 550g self raising flour 4 tsps vanila milk untill the texture is right   i bake this at 160o gas mark 3 for 1hr 20 mins but after 2 hours the skewer is coming out clean but when i cut into to cake to...
found this great x thank you x ive now get my perfect vanilla just the perfect chocolate i found a fantastic recipe but didnt write it down n now im so mad at myself because i cant find it again x
Hi everyone, I've tried many many cupcake recipes and non of them are very good. i can bake and decorate perfect cakes till they are coming out of my ears but just lately ive been turning people away who are asking for cupcakes as i just dont have a recipe im happy with. i would love to start adding pics of cupcakes to my portfolio but need a really good recipe. Can anyone help please   thank you helen
thank you mgostin, that was great advice and i followed what you said and it turned out perfect. wish i was able to try the cake as it smelt so good with all that chococlate :) lucily i had ganache left over so made truffles yum x
hi, i have been asked to make a cake covered and filled with gamache i have only ever used ganache in cupcakes to make it melt in the middle. so i need some advice on what i need to be doing 1. do i need to cover the cake in buttercream first? 2. can i leave it to go slightly harder and use it like a buttercream? 3. can i whip it once cooled to be able to pipe around the edges of the cake? i have made 2 x 8" sqauare cakes and they will be going together to make...
hi guys,  my husband has asked if i can do a malteaser cake and decorated like then a maltease box but i need a cake topper that looks like the malteaser logo. does anyone know if you can buy these online anywer?   thanx in advance helen
Hi, im still new at this cake decorating been doing it for around 9 months and im just wondering if my prices are too high, too low or and i charging right. im self tought so i dont have ant certificates and it is still just a hobby for me but if someone wants a cake im more than happy to make them one at a cost here are my prices8" square and round - £35 ($56.30)2 tier 9"&6" - £55 ($88.50)3 tier 12", 9" & 6" - £185 ($297) im still trying to get my head about sugar...