Posts by jamesyay

You really need to make that base nice and big and fat to support all those petals...     Or the problem could be your frosting. If it holds shells, that's great... but not stiff enough. Add in some more powdered sugar to make it stiffer (if you take your spatula and dip it in, then take it out and turn it so it's vertical with handle side down, your buttercream should be standing and forming peaks). But, of course, don't make it too stiff, or you'll end up hurting...
Thank you!! It took a while to find on the blog but eventually I found it and that's a great method! Also, I love your Etsy shop...
Hello all... So, I have a question. Last night I saw how Nicholas Lodge rolls out his gum paste (with a pasta machine), and just tried it. I absolutely love the method! Works amazingly! Anyways, I don't see how I would go about making certain flowers with this method. I'm talking about the ones like lillies, peonies, and leaves, where you need to have the wire attached in order to attach it into a spray and whatnot. I know you would normally do this on a "cel...
Also see if you have a professional restaurant supply store near you.  I got 8" round 3" deep cake pans there for $6 each. (Much better than if I bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond)
Yeah, you're looking for a tube pan/angel food cake pan. Good luck
I use 3" high 8" round cake pans. I use standard recipes that call for either 8" or 9" round pans, and just divide the batter between the two pans (I actually weigh it and put 17 oz batter in each pan) And yet, I feel like my cakes are still kind of short.     Does anyone have any recommendations on getting taller cakes?   I'm considering the Bake Even strips because I feel like the batter that goes to the dome on top will be evenly distributed to add to...
I can vouch for that Practice Buttercream recipe. In the first Wilton Course you learn about "class buttercream" which is really shortening, powdered sugar, water, and some flavoring (of course, flavoring is not needed for practice). They actually recommend you frost your cake with that crap... HA! But it does work really nicely as a practice buttercream.
It's the straight edges. I think you get them when you use chocolate ganache. But I'm not a fondant person at all... I love good old buttercream. Good luck!
I made chocolate ganache today, for the first time. I did it like how everyone recommends it.But when I saw "bittersweet" in the recipe, my mind immediately thought "unsweetened" chocolate (I tend to call the chocolate that should have been used, "semisweet").So I used unsweetend instead of semisweet/bittersweet, thinking that the cream might be sweet (Never used heavy cream before either!)And I discovered that it's not really that tasty.How can I recover?I was thinking of...
Read the little book you got with it. It has both really important information regarding what speeds to do things at and how to use your mixer to its full potential.Also, it has some nice recipes. I mean, I've only tried the white cake recipe (good enough to become my white cake recipe) but I'm sure the rest are great too.