Posts by CatherineM

Thanks for all your comments and info, especially the recipe link.  All very helpful!  
Is it safe to leave cream cheese frosting out of the fridge for a few hours?  I want to offer red velvet cake as a possible wedding cake flavour to clients, but have misgivings about  using cream cheese frosting, both the food safety issues and also wonder about its stability.  I usually set up wedding cakes in the morning and they're left out most of the afternoon and/or into the evening, so it could be several hours. I found a very good cake recipe by Ann Reardon of...
I think you should be fine painting 10 days in advance.  Assuming your fondant had dried out a bit before you start, and that you're using alcohol to thin the Sugarflair pastes, they should be stable for ages.  I've done test paintings on sheets of rolled out fondant that have remained unchanged for weeks at a time.  The only problem might be humidity - it's necessary to keep them in a dry environment.  So a cardboard cake box rather than an airtight tin would be in...
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I tried the PME silver spray and wasn't very impressed with the colour, but perhaps I should have applied multiple coats.  I'll have another go.  
I've changed my terms and conditions after having been in business for a couple of years, so that all cake clients pay a deposit to secure their date on booking, then my terms are that the balance is due a month before the event.  I used to say `two weeks', but if anything goes wrong with the payment sometimes two weeks is only just enough time to get it sorted out.  I don't want to be out of pocket if someone isn't going to pay and, perhaps more important, I don't want...
I've heard you can also make your dam from a rolled strip of fondant, which would be stronger than buttercream.  I've not tried this yet, but as I'm currently experimenting with Ermine frosting which gets quite soft when out of the fridge, I'm going to try it when I get the chance.  I usually put ganache between the layers, which sets up firmer than BC, so avoids the problem. I think another factor can be the weight of the fondant, so I guess that means roll it as thinly...
does anyone know of a good way to get a really even metallic finish on a cake without using an airbrush?  I've been thing gold lustre dust with alcohol and painting it on (over fondant)  with a brush but it seems to go quite streaky. 
Hi Lemontreecakes,   I recently bought organza ribbon from carnmeal.com (in Cornwall or Devon, if I remember correctly), and they were very reasonable, with quick service.  I think they do satin too - it would be worth looking.  The roll size wasn't too huge either.   I also sometimes buy from Keylink.  They sell ribbons and lots of nice packaging, but are really more geared to chocolatiers.  Like many other trade suppliers, they charge quite a hefty delivery fee...
That's really interesting -  I always thought it was the other way round and you were better served in the US!  The other person's grass always looks greener? :)  
Hi Lemontreecakes,   I don't use a single supplier - different suppliers are good for different items - but have recently ordered from Cake Stuff and also from The Cake Decorating Company (Google for the exact web addresses, they're both .co.uk) and have found them to be pretty good.    Lindy's cakes is also good for unusual bits and pieces.   Post if there's something specific you're looking for and I'll reply if I have a good source.   Squires Kitchen...