Posts by FrostedMoon

Hooray!  I did an Icing Smiles cake last year.  The mom and I cried together when she saw it.  I still follow the little girl's carepages.  This is especially close to my heart since my own son has had multiple surgeries and medical issues.  I can't wait to see what you make for her.  Please post it!
Nope, didn't fall over.  Even after sitting outside at a pool party in 85 degree weather.   
I apologize for the double post, but I'm not being allowed to edit my post.  I took a look at your website and I agree with AZ, with the exception of the wedding cakes, the cakes on your website look quite amateur.  I see the smooth icing on your yellow cake, but it's hard to notice through the crazy piping.  I know others have said this, but I agree that style is quite dated.  Not something I would order.  Same for the fondant work.  Bumpy, lumpy, and ragged edges just...
OP, I'm all for taking a break to improve skills.  You have some time before you retire, which is perfect to give you time to hone your skills.  My business has been quite successful, but I wish I had waited a few years before I jumped in.     When you are ready, you're in an awesome area to sell.  I went to Skidmore for undergrad and know there is tons of money in Saratoga, especially during the summer!  You just have to tap in to it.  Get properly legal and work on...
I vote for gumpaste too!  Roll it pretty thinly.  Put it in an oven with the oven light on.  If you are like me, add a sign to the oven controls so you remember to not turn it on though.  :)
I'm guessing you've been reading the headlines about "the cupcake craze being over, but this article had a bunch of cupcake stuff with who makes them.   Thought it might help.  Personally, I can imagine a cupcake store carrying a few items and doing okay, but I can't imagine a store full of only cupcake stuff doing very well.  Just my 2...
I use half shortening and half butter, with a ratio of 2 cups butter/shortening to 2lb sugar and only 3-4 tablespoons of milk.  I also use americolor gels to color.   I also whip the shortening for a really long time before adding the butter.  This separation happens when water comes in contact with the frosting.  It might be due to condensation, smoothing cold frosting with a hot edge, or even washing a bowl with frosting remnants (it turns white almost like the color is...
For years I have been hesitant to put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge.  I would freeze the leftovers and my family always enjoyed them defrosted, but never a cake for customer in the fridge.  This past weekend I did a fondant covered topsy turvy cake that needed to sit out at a pool party, so I refrigerated it as I decorated it and kept it in the fridge until it was time to go.  For travel I put it in a closed cardboard box with a couple packets of desiccant...
I noticed that between a stacked cake I did this week.  I had refrigerated the whole cake, which I don't normally do, so I think that played a part in the stickiness.  you could always dust the bottom of the board or the top of the stacked cake with a bit of corn starch before stacking.  If it's a condensation issue that might not be enough to stop it, but it might help.
Hello!  I just did my first topsy turvy cake and would love some feedback.  I have another coming up in a few weeks and would love to be able to improve this design.   Thanks!!   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3260128/a/8/mermaid-topsy-turvy-cake-this-was-for-a-pool-party-for-two-girls-where-they-had-custom-mermaid-tail-thank-you-notes-attached-to-the-party-favor-one-of-the-birthday-girls-loved-her-parents-topsy-turvy-wedding-cake-and-wanted-a-similar-birthday-cake/flat/0