Posts by Slinger

I would try to blow those shapes!  I know you are not familiar with working with sugar, but you may be able to find some youtubes on the subject.  I would blow a bubble with sugar, elongate it, snip a hole in the top of the bubble and gently pull the edges outward and back towards the skinny part, cool it till it sets, and then take it off the pump.  This would require lots of practice, and you would need to invest in some equipment such as the pump with the blow piece,...
I've had luck doing a couple different things.   Let it come to room temp before you start to re-whip, or you can also microwave it for a few seconds before whipping.  You could also torch your mixing bowl while its whipping.  If its still broken and separated, I've had luck adding a small spoonful (tbsp or so) of sweetex.  This is my last ditch resort obviously, but it seems to work like magic.  I'll try anything before I toss product out!!  
I wouldn't consider myself an expert on this subject, but I do make IMBC quite often.  I cook my sugar to 240, and pour it into the mixer in a steady stream between the side of the bowl and the whip.  If your sugar hits your whip attachment while its whipping, all the sugar will get flung out to the sides of your bowl, and you will lose some "sweetness" there.  It could also be your recipe.  Hope this helps!
Agreed.  "The university of Youtube" as I call it, is where I learned most of my cake decorating skills.  I graduated from a baking and pastry program which, as mentioned above, only gave me the basics.  I could travel down Negative Nancy Lane on the whole school subject, but I will say this: yes, I made good connections, and yes some of my classes were worth the money, but only a few.  I went to school to be a pastry chef so our goals may be a bit different, but if cake...
Cheer up broken wing!  :)   This is only a temporary situation and things will get better.  Keep a portfolio of your cakes so you can show potential clients the quality of your work.  Once they see what you're made of, their decision should be easy. You also need to be confident in what you do when you sell your work. Explain to your clients what you do well.  Be passionate about what you do!  You will know if a client is money driven, and you should have ways to...
Also, if its humid where you are, your sugar will become tacky,  which is almost impossible to avoid.  If you go the sugar route, try not to make them too far in advance!  
I haven't seen your recipe for this, but I would advise to keep any type of cooked sugar out of the cooler :)  And also like zjones4 said, your sugar probably wasn't cooked to the proper temperature.  Hard to do in a microwave.    The recipe I use for cast sugar is 500g sugar, 200g water, and 100g of glucose or corn syrup.  Make sure your pot is clean! Water and sugar in the pot, stir just until it boils, STOP STIRRING, add your glucose or corn syrup and just let it...
WoooHooo!  Nice find!  And you'll be fine :)  I've never had a problem multiplying batches, just triple check your math, measure correctly, and if your familiar with your mixing process in a small batch,  you'll know what to look for in the large batch.  Of course you may have some trial and errors, but regardless, totally worth it to have a big mixer. Good Luck!