Posts by bakechef

We made a cake like this in a grocery store that I worked it, they may have gotten the idea from publix.     We used a sticky bun smear like you would use for sticky pecan sticky buns, spread that generously on the bottom of the cake pan and sprinkled it generously with chopped pecans.  Poured the batter over that and baked until done.  Flip the baked cake out of the pan while still quite warm to prevent sticking.  It was filled with Rich's Bettercream, non dairy...
I much prefer the new videos, the cameraman asks much fewer questions, so the information comes through.   Her vanilla sponge cake, and red velvet are now standard recipes of mine.  The swiss buttercream is the best that I've tried, more sugar, less butter than traditional recipes.     I'm someone that weighs ingredients and measures precisely, always following the recipe the first time before trying tweaks.
I have a Samsung 3 fan convection oven and have never had a problem with the crumb changing.  Mixing method is usually the culprit.  In scratch cakes, I cream the butter and sugar for at least 5 minutes with the Kitchenaid and beaterblade (or scrape down frequently), until very fluffy.  I find that this improves the texture of creamed method cakes more than anything.
I couldn't imagine spending the time to make a homemade pie ( I even make my own crust) and then plop cool whip on it, when it takes maybe 2 minutes to whip some cream!
For future cream cheese icings, don't over work the butter and cream cheese. When you beat or whip cream cheese and butter it causes them to break down and release their water, making a soupy icing that needs a ton of powdered sugar.Get the butter (or shortening) and the cream cheese to room temperature. Mix the fat, vanilla, salt and powdered sugar into a very very thick buttercream, beat until smooth. Add the softened cream cheese to this very stiff buttercream and...
I love getting Nestle and Ghiradelli at the club stores (BJ's in my case), the prices bring the name brands down below most store brands!I've gotten some great chocolate at Aldi in that section by the door!
[quote]What you used isn't actually white chocolate, it was "white baking chips". most white chips aren't white chocolate, even Nestle and Ghiradelli, they won't always melt down like real white chocolate. Look for the package to say "white chocolate" specifically, and the ingredients should list cocoa butter.Hope this helps. Aldi may have some of the real deal in their candy section in bar form, especially getting close to the holidays, they actually have some very good...
I've used Nestle chips, store brand as well as good chocolate, and never had issues making ganache. I adjust the cream/chocolate ratio depending on the use.Ganache made with dark chocolate or semi sweet will have an intense chocolate flavor. When I'm making a whipped ganache for a filling I usually use milk chocolate because I think that the semi sweet or dark, just isn't sweet enough. I enrobe cakes with dark chocolate ganache. My whipped ganache is 24 oz chocolate to...
As someone else said, you won't be able to create this at home, there is nothing natural in it. I use this stuff at work and can see the ingredient label on the bucket (ours is the pre-whipped).The closest in flavor is cool whip, which again doesn't have anything natural in it, but isn't stable like Bettercream.You could always make stabilized whipped cream, but it would end up tasting like cream and not the stuff from the grocery store, it will look similar though!If you...
I've made the crumboss' vanilla cake a few times and it has always been perfect. I have used unbleached all purpose flour, no issues. You need to make sure that you whip the eggs until they look like soft whipped cream, at least 5 minutes, then slowly add sugar. Also if you are measuring by cups, make sure that you fluff up the flour in the container and lightly scoop into measuring cup and level off. Every time that I've made this it has been soft, spongy and tender. ...