Posts by aisrad

I have taken all the Wilton classes, but there was a lot I didn't learn in the class and I don't live in an area where other classes are available. I figured at first it was my buttercream (which I did chill after putting on my cake), because my Wilton teacher actually told us never to use non crusting buttercreams, because you'd end up with all sorts of problems. So, when I started having issues, I immediately assumed it was because I didn't listen to her and use a...
I had the same problem with my MMF but now I add more p/s than I think I need, usually the whole 2 lb bag and my MMF turns out much better now. I don't get near as many air bubbles when rolling it out and the texture is soft and smooth, and looks like a soft matte finish instead of shiny. I've also found it rolls out much better if I use cornstarch instead of p/s or crisco. I personally haven't had much luck with Michelle Foster's recipe, unfortunately. I'm probably doing...
Just in case anyone needs help with this in the future, I did figure out how to bake a perfect cake with the Wilton ball pan. I found another discussion recommending to set your oven at 300 and putting a pan of water on the bottom rack of your oven. I did all that as well as put a flower nail in the center, baked my cake for an hour, and it came out perfect!
I can't get it to upload a pic for me. It's too many pixels apparently. I really do appreciate your feedback though. In the future, I will make sure to properly support my cakes the way you've told me to. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!
My cake was made with 6" pans and I used 4 layers (two were really small), not including the dome. I'm confused about the proper way to support a cake though. Some people think it's necessary to use cake boards and some think dowels/straws are enough. I know if you go high enough or your cake is heavy enough, you'll want to use a cake board, but my cake wasn't that tall and I wasn't concernced about it sinking. I think what caused it to tilt, is that I put a large rose on...
I am looking into buying some sort of mat for rolling out fondant, but am not sure what I should get. I have an acrylic sheet I use right now, but fondant seems to really stick to it BAD, so I have to use a lot of cornstarch or powdered sugar, and then my fondant ends up drying and cracking, or getting elephant skin at the bottom of my cake. I have the Wilton mat, but you have to completely slather that thing in crisco if you don't want your fondant to stick and it's just...
I did put a bubble straw in the cake but JUST remembered that I only put it through the round cakes, cut it, then set the dome on top. Ahh, stupid! I dont know what I was thinking. Why would I think I didn't need it through the whole cake?? Lesson learned I guess.
I made a birdcage cake for a shower I'm throwing for my friend tomorrow. I used buttercream (a recipe I thought was a crusting buttercream) instead of ganache, because I thought the dome top would be easier to smooth out. Well, I have all the decorations on my cake and it looks beautiful, except for the fact that it's now tilting to one side. I'm so bummed!! I always have bad luck when I try to work with buttercream! I don't know how anyone does a cake succesfully without...
Thank you!
I've made a fondant covered cake with raspberry buttercream underneath. I used raspberry preserves (the pie filling kind) and that's the only thing in the buttercream I'm worried about being perishable. The shower is tomorrow night. Can my cake sit out until then?