Posts by jwhiting12

I will be doing my very first wedding cake in May and the bride to be requested 6" tiers for a 3 tier cake. All of the charts I have found are for 4" tiers. I assume the slices will be smaller with an exra layer of cake so I'm not sure what to go by. Has anyone dealt with this? Also, I read somewhere that you don't count the top tier in the number of servings. Is that standard? I asked if she wanted a tier for her and the groom to save but she didn't really give me an...
Hi there, I currently have a small cake decorating business called Patsy Cakes (after my grandmother, her name was Patsy and I got my love of baking from her) and one of my best friends has a vegan bakery called Lily Reid. Her and I are trying to start our own bakery with both vegan and traditional options. We are now faced with the challenge of coming up with a new name. I really don't want to give up my name for sentimental reasons but I can't really ask her to give...
Does anyone know where to get a gold monogram cake topper (in less than 2 weeks)? And also a girly looking number 30? I know I could probably order them online but I don't really have the time to wait for them and I'd really rather not have to make them out of GP,Thanks!!!
I have a customer that would like me to recreate this cake but do the entire bottom tier to look like stacked legos. I am thinking this is going to be quite a bit of work. She needs it to be for 30 people so I thought I'd do a 9" & 6". I am not sure what to charge for a cake like this, what do you think?
I have someone that wants a cake similar to this also (thanks for the tips!), but she wants the entire bottom tier to look like the legos and the top to be a Ninjago head. Seems easy enough but time consuming, I'm not really sure how much to charge her. Any thoughts on that? She needs it for 30 people.Thanks
I am delivering a 3 tier birthday cake tomorrow afternoon. What are your thoughts on transporting it? Should I assemble at home and place it in a large box with non skid foam or assemble it at the party? I have some piping to do on 2 of the tiers and I feel more comfortable doing it after assembly (and with no one watching me lol). I've only transported a tiered cake one time and I was a nervous wreck the whole way there (this was before I knew to dowel the whole cake in...
Thanks ladies! I'm feeling much better about charging her what should be charged. The sizes are 10/8/6ish (sculpted, since I don't have a proper pan) plus the 6 in smash cake. It is supposed to be for 50 people. The fondant is not really a big deal at all so that part I'm not concerned with. I'm more concerned with the red and black buttercream that she wants lol.I don't mind giving people a deal, mainly because I'm just starting out and the experience is worth more to me...
I am pretty new to selling the cakes I decorate and I am horrible at figuring out pricing, especially for people I know. A friend of my moms' wants a 3 tier buttercream cake plus a smash cake for her granddaughter's first birthday. There will be 2 fondant/gumpaste bows and several fondant accents. My mom wanted to tell her it would be $60...I laughed at her, but when I told her it might be closer to the $100+ range she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Oh and I'm also...