Posts by Cherylc418

I use an airbrush for larger cakes, but the finish is more matte. For a shinier finish I brush gold luster dust mixed with everclear onto the surface in a few coats until I get the desired look. But I do agree with the other poster, you really need to test it out for yourself since there are many different golds on the market.
I had this EXACT thing happen to me recently. The customer also had an issue with price and decided on a decorated sheet cake instead of a tiered baby shower cake. I had ALSO baked several of the same cakes for other clients who thought it was delicious. I happened to have the actual leveled piece from the morning as she called me to complain. The cakes are always moist and so it was in this situation.  The customer complained that it was dry and no one finished their...
Last time I did a fresh flower topper I bought a small piece of floral foam and a clear plastic desert style plate from the grocery store. Soak the foam and place on plate, create your fresh arrangment in foam. Place a piece of parchment on top tier, then set plate on top. This was perfect for traveling, kept flowers really fresh, and it was super simple to remove them when they were ready to cut the cake. I'm certain there are probably better things to use than a desert...
I have created one also. I was asked to use a sheet cake and make it garden themed since she had been an avid gardener. It was white buttercream with pastel roses and a single tiny butterfly to represent resurrection into a new life. These things are of course very personal, simple is better.
I believe I always a a little more water than that though I can't recall how much. But I did mix it for about 7 min until I got stiff peaks.
I wouldn't dream of doing that for so many reasons. Even if you Only decorate you will be associated with the cake and many people can't seperate that fact. You won't know if the cake is sturdy, tasty or even edible for one! There are just way to many reasons to even consider this proposition. I have never had a client ask such a thing. What is the reasoning behind the request ?
In your humble opinion, what works best for you when delivering a multi tiered cake, chilling the cake prior, a trip in the freezer prior, or nothing at all? What is your method and why does it work?
The first time I ordered hi ratio I purchased it from Global Sugar Art in a 12 lb quantity. I can't say for shipping, but anything that is heavy will cost a bundle to ship. Also, be aware that when shipping shortening in the summer it's a good idea pay for a cool pack to ship with it. 12 lbs is not as much as you would assume, and should be perfect for your hobby.
@ sherri2012 I have a base price for fondant and buttercream cakes. My servings will also remain the same i.e. An 8" round will always have the same # of servings for aparty or wedding. I determine how many hours a cake will take to decorate based on complexity of the design. If this goes beyond my standard time I will charge a larger price per serving that reflects this additional time. It does not matter weather it is a simple white no frills wedding cake, or a replica...
Just because it happens all the time and can increase your profit margin doesn't mean it's right. It's the same flour, the same eggs, it's the same product. As a consumer I would rather be upcharged because I chose an intricate or difficult design, not simply because I was getting hitched. Thus, I treat my customers as I would like to be treated. It all boils down to what each individual business owner deems fair business practice. I tend to be the exception rather than...