Posts by forjenns

The ribbon on this cake is almost exactly what I am looking for.  I think I have an idea how it was made but I wonder if anyone has made something similiar and how did you do it?   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2187864/a/2188864/party-theme-was-queen-of-the-ball-features-gum-paste-peonies-leaves-and-hydangea-sugarveil-lace-isomalt-crown-bow-is-gum-paste-with-sugarveil-lace-prize-ribbon-made-from-gum-paste-with-hand-painted-logo-board-is-finished-with-edible-gems/   TIA
I am make a few cupcakes for a friends beach themed wedding. She wants white chocolate shells on the cupcakes, I was thinking it might ba a little more realistic to add a little color but I'm not sure hoe to make the color dust stick. On fondant I know steaming sets the color but chocolate would just melt right? TIA
It looks fantastic!
I am not very experienced however I recently made a box cake and if I were to do it again I would ice th cake with plenty of icing (I tend to keep icing thin on fondant cakes) measure and make panels. I would let them set for at least an hour until quite firm but not hard. I usually let my cakes rest over night to crust then lightly mist with water to get fondant to stick. Good luck. You practice piece is beautiful!
Here they are. I found a nike sneaker and modified it some. I am pleased.
I was going to suggest air dry but I love the freezer idea. You can make the pretty far in advance and once solid probably cover them tightly?
I use the Wilton recipe and split the shortening, 1/2 butter, 1/2 shoertening. You get the stability do the shortening with the yummy butter flavor. I find using th full amount of liquid is too thin so I start with half then add as needed. Also I never make less then a double batch.
I find lots of patterns for converse high-top and baby shoes or cake patterns but I am hoping to find a pattern to make an adult Keds type shoe.  Not a high top.  Does anyone have one they would be willing to share?
That thought crossed my mind, maybe use plain yogurt or milk instead of the sour cream. I like the buttermilk idea.
I made a "practice" cake for a friends, husband and he said the cake was too dense and moist. I used a basic boxed chocolate cake extender, flour, sauger, pudding, sour cream. I even used cake flour. I wonder if using yogurt will "lighten up" the cake a bit? I can exclude the pudding to reduce the "moist". I've never run into this before, I didn't quite know how to respon but I'd like to accommodate his request for hid 50th birthday cake. I haven't jumped into...