Posts by CaptainCupcakes

Hello! I am catering a wedding and would love a second opinion. The couple are having an evening wedding in a remote area of Vermont, and most people will be driving in from various distances. They are having three different flavors of cupcakes and an 8" cutting cake. Here is the catchy part, they are not serving dinner...dum dum DuM...   They said they will do a cracker/cheese plate and maybe some crostini, but overall the dessert is the primary food being...
I know this sounds crazy...but I SWEAR owning my own business helps me stay healthy. I am so terrified of what happens if I get truly sick that I think I scare my way out of it or power through it. However, I basically plan my week so that things are spread out, baking one day, decorating the next, etc. etc. Therefore, if I get sick early on I can scramble to get caught up. If it is later in the week, I have a very reliable friend who I have taught to do at least some of...
As far as I understand, NYC doesn't have Cottage Food Law, which is required in order to have a home business certified. I am a NYC transplant, and I looked up starting my business while I lived there. An alternative option is to use a 'Culinary Incubator" which is a location you rent temporarily. You can look up NY's at http://www.culinaryincubator.com/maps.php. I've heard of a fantastic location in Harlem too but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Also while...
Thanks for your reply! Has anyone heard of SafeChef specifically? They are the least expensive I have found so far, but I hadn't heard of them before...
Hi folks!  I am already certified in Food Safety in both RI and NY...and alas I need to do so once more in MA. Fun. It has been a while since I did this whole process, and I am just wondering...are all programs offered the same? As in, do I need to be "servsafe" certified or is SafetyChef the same thing. I am looking into doing a course at a community college, or an online course, or a 1 day course with an instructor. Here are the sites to which I'm mainly...
Thanks for all the advice folks! I'll let you know what works out...
My hands do run warm, but I have never had sweaty palms when decorating. However, have you tried using cornstarch on your hands instead of 10x? That may keep them dry at least. Other than that, I think gloves are your next best bet (yeah, they will make your hands sweat more, but they will keep the fondant dry and latex does not conduct heat.)  Good Luck!
Hi there Folks! I have been researching all I can, but I am just not a computer person. I have a Mac, and I am very invested in the Cake Boss system. I asked a lot of professionals and they say I do not need Parallels in order to get the system running...just windows. So I know it says I need 7 on the website, but does anyone know if 8 will work?    I can't even explain how badly I want to get the program up and running....haha....     thanks for any help!
Hello! I am facing the same dilemma myself, and have been going back and forth for over a year! I understand what you are going through...   I think the choice depends on a lot of different variables (Overhead Cost, Clientele and demand, Location, etc.) But overall you have to decide what is best for yourself. Starting a storefront has it's advantages of course, foot traffic will obviously help advertise your business. However, it is five-ten times more expensive to...
Also, want to make it clear that I believe the cake world is small, and I believe in being kind and helping each other out...so I would never want to be underhanded or negative towards another business. I simply want to know if it is worth having two similar businesses in such a small vicinity.