Posts by kss1217

Hi everyone!I was asked to make a red high heel shoe and cake for a birthday on Sunday, Oct. 7. I bought a package of gumpaste and started working on a Manolo Blanik shoe (picture of the shoe I'm trying to copy is in the link below). I know that the gumpaste needs a few days to harden so I started earlier this week. Well, guess what? Since it was my first shoe, it cracked in half somehow and off I went to the store again this morning for another package of...
Thanks for the great info. I definately have a lot to consider.
Thank you, Jason. I appreciate your help.
Ok. I finally have my food handler's license and through word of mouth people are calling me to make birthday, baby shower, and sweet 16 cakes. I'm ready to branch out and find a commercial kitchen in order to sell in my area because my home kitchen doesn't qualify to be utilized for business. I'm thinking about selling online and shipping cupcakes, etc., but wondered if anyone has sold their products online and been successful. I know that I'll need a business license...
Thank you, Jason, for the helpful info. I found out from the public health department that I DO need to find a commercial kitchen because my home lacks everything needed to function as an approved home kitchen. Now on to the business plan...Thanks again!
Thank you, Jason, for the helpful info. I found out from the public health department that I DO need to find a commercial kitchen because my home lacks everything needed to function as an approved home kitchen. Now on to the business plan...Thanks again!
Hi TheItalianBaker! I went through Safe Food Handlers and they had a 15-hour class at a local hospital, which took two Saturdays (8am-5pm) to complete the course. There were 75 test questions on the test taken at the end of the second day of class. I paid $120. It took a month to get the passing grade and to get the actual certificate, I have to send $35 to my state's Dept of Public Health. The certificate lasts for 5 years. I live in Illinois, but it's also offered...
I'm pretty new to cake decorating and have gotten some business for friends, family, and a few people through word of mouth. There are a few cakes from scratch that I'm thinking about selling through restaurants. So far I've gotten my food handlers certificate, but don't know what else is needed. How do I do this?
I made a few of these in the last couple of months (in the heat) and one was driven 40 minutes away; the other one close to an hour away. I used store bought Duncan Hines vanilla frosting and piped a dot of frosting on the bottom of each cupcake wrapper before decorating. After all of the decorations were done, I put it in the refrigerator until it was ready to leave home. Cooling the cupcake cake helped them stick to the cake board.There was no shifting and when...