Posts by ChiWOWa

Hi all,Many thanks for the wonderful replies!!! I will try the additional recipes given, thanks again I finally managed to make some white chocolate modelling paste using Golden Syrup instead of light corn syrup or glucose syrup. It worked out quite well (I think...I have never seen or used bought chocolate paste) but the syrup did make the white chocolate turn "gold" lol.I will keep on trying as it seems that most people like using chocolate for modelling figures, which...
Hi all,I would like to try my hand at working with modelling chocolate and tried to make my first batch today and it was a disaster LOL I can only buy Glucose syrup here in NZ and not corn syrup as stated in ALL chocolate recipes. I guess that is why my batch was a crumbing mess The glucose syrup I buy is so thick it is almost solid (if that make sense!) what sort of consistancy (viscosity) is the corn syrup you can buy in the USA?Can I thin down the Glucose syrup with...
I am very new to cake decorating so propably not the right person to answer this LOL.However, it looks like the colour was painted on the leaves, so probably a gel colour. The lillies are not so obvious.....there is a nice gradation of colour, more so than on the ivy, so the lillies may have been coloured with petal dusts. As for which colours, I have no idea Good luck!
Hi and welcome from another newbie I just joined this site too and know almost nothing about cake decorating, other than that I love it and am already addicted!There are hundreds of tutorial in the "How Do I?" forum and "google" has become my best friend I spend half my time reading and the other half "playing" with gumpaste etc. It is a real learning curve but sooooo much fun.CheersTerry
LOL Kakeladi, I have never heard of "12 yolk cookies" but I think I need to google that recipe...it seems that cake decorating uses a lot of egg white, and I need to do something useful with the yolks!Well the NL Gumpaste is ready to use. I have made a few roses and the results are great! I did have to add additional icing sugar after kneading as it was a bit sticky. I think my arms gave out when I made it as I had quite a lot of icing sugar left over \\I managed to roll...
Ohh this does look like fun! I am working on a cake for my daughter for Mothers day. It will be my third cake ever LOL, so haven't even made it to "novice" state yet So far I have been making a gazillion gumpaste leaves and started on roses. So far so good, I am enjoying every minute. Now I just have to decide what sort of cake to make.
Thanks for letting me know about kiwicakes, Piink. I have just checked out the site for classes ( I have bought supplies from there, but did not notice the classes!)Unfortunately the nearest classes are about an 8 hour drive away LOL Mind you, I am having loads of fun trying things out on my own Does anyone have a "must have" book they can recommend? I have the "International School of Sugarcraft - Book 2 and it is amazing!! I would like to add one or two more to my...
Perfect timing! I was about to ask many of the same questions, I will be watching this thread closely Unfortunately there are no cake decorating classes where I live (let alone Wilton classes!!!) So it will all be "self taught" for me. I only decided to try cake decorating a few weeks ago, it has been on my wish list for many years. I decorated my first cake about 2 weeks ago, up till that point I had never heard of fondant or gumpaste LOL. Oops, sorry did not mean to...
Well the first batch of NL Gumpaste is sitting "maturing" for 24 hours......it feels like forever! I do not have a Kitchen Aid or anything, so it was made by hand and boy, do I feel like I have had a workout lol. Should be great for toning the arms Next on the "to do list" is Royal Icing....and trying to figure out what to do with all those egg yolks.... I will let you all know how the gumpaste turns out.Thanks again for all the helpCheersTerry
Thank you all so much for the very helpful replies.I think I will try the Nicholas Lodge recipe.....my only problem is that I have NO idea what "10x powdered sugar" is! The only "icing sugar" available to me is store bought icing sugar that has a little cornflour in it. Can I use this?