Posts by MJbakes

Oh, and scratch baking is not difficult at all. Yes, it does take one bad recipe to turn you away if you're not used to it. But that's only ONE bad recipe. There are hundreds of good ones out there. Not that long ago I was looking for a new white cake recipe and I found one that was getting rave reviews. I followed the instructions and ingredients to a T. When it was cool, my boyfriend and I went to try a piece and it was like cornbread. Dry, crumbly and my boyfriend...
Scratch baking came natural to me. My grandmother is a baker, she sells dainties cookies etc at Farmer's Markets. She lives out in a small town, so whenever I would go visit growing up I would always help in the kitchen. Whether she was making brownies, ginger snap cookies(my fave lol) or cinnamon braid, she always let me help. I don't think I've ever used a box mix for anything I've baked. My mom used to like the "shortcut" way of making muffins, but everything else...
I actually use the Wilton "cookie" scoop. It has that built in scraper thing it it works great!
Thanks for the tips Deborah anne. What's funny though, is when I started baking, not once did I think to look at Bulk Barn for cake boxes! I ordered some online, thought I got a pretty good deal...until I got the bill from Fed Ex. I always forget about that part. When I need more boxes I'll make sure to check out Bulk Barn. As for the dry ice goes, I'll see what the weather is when I get closer to that week. I really don't want to have to drive out to those areas lol...
My mom's birthday is on the 23rd and every year we go out to the small town where my grandparents live on the saturday after her birthday. It's about 1.5 hours drive from where we live. I've been thinking about making her a cake, since I've never actually made her one but I'm not sure how I would transport it. We have a truck (gmc sierra) so we don't have space IN the truck to carry it. It would probably be just a sheet cake covered and decorated in fondant, so I could...
My dentist actually put a "phones must be turned off " sign as you walk in the door. I asked him if they interfered with machines and it was the same reason why your dentist has the sign! I couldn't believe it either...people these days. *SMH*
I agree with everyone here. I do use facebook but I do it with the best etiquette possible. What I don't understand is how people read and write things like this "Howz e1 doin 2day" (How is everyone doing today?) or when the words are so mangle like diz (this) lol Wouldn't it be faster to write something properly? I've seen my younger cousin (16) write with, I guess slang(?) and I can hardly ever understand her posts. I'm only 25 and I have a hard time understanding...
Thanks everyone! It really did turn out better than I would have ever imagined! Now I'm just trying to figure out what I would actually charge for something like this if a client were to inquire. I know what I charge for the cake, just not sure how much I would charge for the bird.
Just thought I'd share the finished cake that went along with my hummingbird!http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2380142/hummingbird-flowers
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to start doing it tomorrow just in case. I was reading some tutorials and a couple of the same to make an extra "just in case" tiara. Our humidity is pretty high, not as high as it normally is though. Thanks everyone for your tips. I'll let you know how it turns out!