Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

As an amateur, you have the advantage of being able to get what you need, when you need it, and to learn new techniques as you need them (or as they interest you), without any pressure to get product out the door in order to pay the rent.   I have two tips and a few couplers; when I need a piping bag, I just cut the corner out of a quart zip-top food storage bag (don't try that trick with a sandwich bag!). I recently (after having trouble troweling out frosting with a...
Hmm. For my own part, I (because there are old, frail people in the house) use only pasteurized eggs (and when Sprouts started carrying them, they opted to carry the cage-free ones; I count that as a win-win scenario: I don't have to drive10 miles to the nearest Bristol Farms, just to settle for pasteurized battery cage eggs). And I've always cracked my eggs into a "quarantine" bowl to inspect them (and trim off the chalazas if they look too heavy to just beat out). Be...
Hmm. Cake Boss. Not to be confused with the similarly titled bakery management application. I finally got curious enough to look it up in Wikipedia. And I'm sorry I did.
Keep in mind that I'm one of the amateurs; the Flickr link in my signature will show you what my baked goods look like, and the web site link should tell you more than you ever wanted to know about me.
As I say when somebody announces his or her presence on PIPORG-L,   Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts (myself included).   You've wandered into a lunatic asylum populated by bakers and cake decorators, both professional and amateur. The late Douglas Adams would no doubt classify this board as "mostly harmless."   As long as you remember that Disco Dust is not "Good Eats," you should be able to keep whatever grip you might have on your sanity (if...
And then there's your local grocer's bakery counter, where neither appearance, nor taste, nor texture matter: it's all about combining a low price with a high profit margin.
And I'm sure that even if it were "crap" to you, it would probably be better than anything I've baked and decorated.   (Indeed, the only reason why I'd rather bake and decorate my own -- other than of course the sense of accomplishment -- is that I don't think I'd be able to find a professional who'd want to duplicate the texture of my favorite dense, non-whipped, hand-blended, all-butter, cold-process buttercream, and I don't especially like the texture of the whipped...
Well, if you used that line on the right customers, they'd probably both get a good laugh and take the hint.
Hmm. On the cardboard lid: what would happen if you were to make it out of something as flat and tough as cardboard, but edible? Like a giant cookie. Or a very large sheet of Graham cracker? Or a very large sheet of matzoh? Or Scandinavian crispbread or gingersnap?
Ms. White ("cupadeecakes"): WOW! Just Wow.