Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

So just hand her a DH box mix, a 1-lb box of powdered sugar, some ready-made flowers, and an edible print of the image of her choice, and say, "Some assembly required."
"Maurorless67": Waaaayyyyy above my pay grade. I hope it didn't taste fishy. "Rosegin": Quite remarkable. And also above my pay grade.
Well, according to this MSDS, http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/activated_carbon_msds it's not known to have any carcinogenic or teratogenic properties, and the LD50 in rats is at least half a percent of body weight, but that doesn't make it "good eats."
If I were putting it on a cake, I'd scan an actual bandana, and have an edible print made.   If I were putting it on a board under a cake, I'd use an actual bandana, and cover it with something transparent and food-safe, to isolate it from the cake.
Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts (myself included). You've stumbled into an international forum populated by cake geeks (well, mostly cake geekettes); so long as you remember that Disco Dust is not Good Eats, you'll get along just fine.
I agree. If you're not using edible ink, then you definitely do not want to be printing on edible media, especially for a food-contact surface. The whole point of edible media is not just that it's edible, but that it fuses with any moist surface it comes into contact with. So if you printed on it with non-edible ink, then set a cake on top of it, you'd end up with your non-edibly-printed score stuck to the bottom of your cake.   You're not, I presume, going to be...
I'm sure I've already shared ideas for 51st birthday or anniversary ("Squad, Engine and Station 51, from Emergency!"), 55 (speed limit sign), and 78 (antique phonograph record).   And of course, the obvious thing for 52 would be playing cards, and if the recipient plays cribbage, the obvious theme for 29 would be a depiction of a perfect cribbage hand (i.e., a 5 for Starter, with the other three 5s and the jack of the same suit as the Starter in the hand, yielding...
Hmm. I'm not merely a picky eater; I'm The Ur-Picky Eater. The standard by which pickiness is defined. And I don't care for mint or citrus, and I don't eat chocolate at all. And (probably unlike anybody else here) I prefer a dense, candy-like, hand-blended cold-process buttercream to any whipped, hot-process, or meringue buttercreams.   But for all that, I don't have any problems with cakes from the grocer, or from Costco. (And my objection to cakes from Wal-Mart is to...
My own experience with ants mirrors everything the professional exterminators say: Spraying for ants just gets you a bunch of dead workers, and some nasty contamination, without having any real impact on the colony. A few well-placed bait stations take out the whole colony, queen and all.
A well-stocked model train dealer would likely carry Hydrocal.   Of course, if you don't need to walk on the frosting, you could get by with Plaster of Paris, from the local hardware store. More-or-less the same stuff, except that Hydrocal sets up a lot harder.   It's been a while, but as I recall, if you add organic substances to any kind of plaster, it will slow down the setting, whereas if you add inorganic substances, it will speed up the setting.   And note that...