Posts by BakingIrene

Jello does have to be heated to near boiling to dissolve it properly.   I know this might be late...next time, what you do is you chill a quarter cup of your mixture on a small plate leaving the rest in the cooking pot.  If it sets then it's OK.  If it doesn't set then you can add either more jello or cornstarch/water. No need to waste the original fruit...
Margarine is fine for icing.  My only trouble with it is that some brands are exceptionally salty, so you would add salt only if really called for at the end.   You can also simply cut down the sugar to keep the icing from tasting too sweet.  Leave out 1/4 of the sugar and see how it spreads--the vanilla pudding will give it a good consistency anyway.
This recipe would also have a good cup of liquid if I were mixing it. Liquid like cream, nondairy creamer, corn syrup, liqueur with alcohol, maple syrup, sour cream...take your pick.
No it's not supposed to crust.   Its texture when freshly made is so smooth that one normally does not need to use paper.  Just good smoothing technique with plenty of icing. Finish with a hot dry spatula.   I think people have trouble with smoothing buttercream because they are thinking about the fondant that they will be adding.  So they are using a minimum amount of buttercream.    Best to learn to make a smooth coat by icing a few cakes  (no fondant afterwards), using...
Dry ingredients do not "dirty" up dishes. They can be wiped clean with a towel.   Or you can use pieces of waxed paper (less expensive than parchment or spoiled ingredients).    You might also chase the kids out of the kitchen while you measure. Tell them, "no quiet time, no cake"
No need to flip if you want some relief.   Draw the image onto paper.  Put some bakers parchment over that on a large cookie sheet.  Do the outlines first. You will get a nice 2D effect when you pipe the fill-ins.    When the transfer is solidly frozen, you can peel the parchment and put the transfer onto the cake same side up as you piped it.   I have done this for cartoon characters.  It works great.
Your red royal icing needs to be perfectly dry before you put it on the cake.  At least 24 hours.   You won't get a runny line, you will get a shadow of colour right under the letters after they sit on the buttercream for a day or more.   If you are still not sure, use a thin line of white royal icing first.  Let that dry for an hour, then pipe your red letters on top.  What will touch the actual cake is the white.
OK two sheet cake pans with half hearts.  Size still limited by your oven capacity.
Get sheet gelatine.  Soak it in water and shape it to the final shape on a form.  Let it dry and then brush with luster dust.   Sorry but gelatine has to be soaking wet to be soft.  Otherwise it's very brittle.
You got the last bottle you will ever see.  This stuff shows as discontinued on the mfr's website.