Posts by BakingIrene

Remember that cake flour might have to be sifted BEFORE measuring.  Check the label or search online for FAQ from the mill.
You want to search for "ball candy moulds".  They will give you the smooth finish that a pool ball has.  Many sizes sold on ebay.   Make shells from candy melts to avoid fussing with colour.  You can then fill them up with cake ball mix and stick two together.
Seven minute frosting has egg white, sugar, corn syrup, water , flavour.   Coconut milk from a  tin has no milk, no lactose.  That can be used in place of milk/cream in "creamed" icings and custard fillings.    Make sure you buy  certified vegan or certified dairy free margarine.    Many chocolate cake recipes use coffee NOT milk, and oil.  These recipes use cocoa, or unsweetened chocolate, to avoid traces of milk in chocolate.   Best to do a google...
Chill your "soft" results competely.  It should firm up well with all that fat in it.  Then  whiz the cold icing in a food processor for 20 seconds. It will firm up again after you spread it and stack the layers, have no fear.    I cook the custard part with egg in over low direct heat until I get a few boil bubbles (15 seconds, not a minute, at boiling).  I stir constantly to prevent sticking.  Have never had it mess up, cannot taste the starch. 
You should use BLEACHED all purpose flour if the recipe calls for it. Cake flour may be too soft and this comes out as a gloppy unrisen cake NOT a light cake.   Unbleached all purpose flour makes great pasta and bread, therefore not good cake unless you  are adding lots of buttermilk, sour cream, cream cheese or yogurt.  I make many such cake recipes without eggs, and they come out light and fine grained and tender. The combination of fresh baking powder and acid is...
I would just do the cornstarch.  Adjust taste/consistency with a little extra melted semisweet chocolate at the end but that is easy enough.   This recipe works because of the cream cooked with egg yolks.  It can carry quite a wide variety of fat content with the cornstarch.  It can also carry a wide range of sugar content which is what the milk chocolate primarily adds.   You can also cook this the other way. This is the way I make this icing:  Make the custard...
Can you please explain why you would both freeze and thaw a cake half a day ahead of its being served?   It suffices to simply let the cake get completely to room temperature, (add jam or curd filling) and cover with whipped cream, and immediately place it into the fridge for overnight.  The whole cake should be in a box to prevent transfer of odours from other foods in the fridge.   Whipped cream is not like icing, it keeps the cake moist but it must be...
This is a French custard buttercream. Egg yolks and sugar and cream make custard when cooked.   To get a milk chocolate icing, you would have to sub milk chocolate for ALL the chocolate.    I don`t see any cocoa butter--I see regular unsalted butter.  You can add this after the mixture has cooled down to room temperature. That way you can beat it in one tablespoon at a time to get the consistency you prefer.   You need to cut the sugar down to 1 cup because...
 I am not sure you understand the kind of person I am   Understand what kind of person? Eh? When I buy baked goods, I do not even think to inquire into the personality of the baker…I watch the staff's food-handling skills.  I look at the cleanliness of the display dummies and the floor.   I look at and smell the goods.  I look at the "best by" date to get the freshest package of strudel…or I ask the counter help to tell me when the strudel was baked.   I'm not ...
Google is your best friend.   You are looking for bakery websites, and then look for their "careers" link.   They will say if they offer internships or if they hire trainees.   Best to stick to the ones that pay at least minimum wage.   Anyway your baking and pastry course should also be helping you connect to placements and work listings.