Posts by camsmommy

Thanks for the recipe and tips! I will be tresting them today!
I would use Alpine shortening. It has a much cleaner and lighter finish than regular cooking shortening like Crisco. It also doesn't leave that nasty coating on your tongue! I get mine from a local cake supply shop.
I'm just about to go to boxed cake mixes to make my vanilla cupcakes... Not that they are bad, I just try to do homemade wherever I can. I have tried probably 8 different recipes and all of them come out dry. I am not over cooking them so I don't know why they all turn out so dry! My husband said the last batch I just tested had the consistency of cornbread I want a moist cupcake, light would be also be great but right now I just care about moistness! Can you all share...
I am doing my first big event tomorrow and I have already baked, filled, and crumb coated my cakes. I want to put the final layer of icing on my cakes and decorate them tonight but need to know how long I should remove them from the fridge before applying my final layer? I am using the Viva towel method to get smooth buttercream (unless there is a better method, I am open to suggestions!) and then applying fondant decorations. I would love to be able to get this done...
I want to apply syrups to a cake I am making and then torte them. Do I apply the syrup while the cake is hot and then torte once cooled? Or do I allow the cakes to cool, torte and then add the syrup to the layers? I have heard adding syrup when the cake is cooled will cause the cake to be soggy. Thanks for your suggestions!
Ok so I started my own cupcake business from my home and I have started to do cakes. So far, all of my cakes have been made the day of but I have an event that I'm doing a 4 tiered cake and 10 dozen cupcakes so I'd like to bake my cakes for Saturday ahead of time without freezing. My questions are: when do I bake them if needed for Saturday evening? I would like to add a syrup to the cakes, do I do this while it's hot or wait until I torte the layers and it's cooled? I'm...