Posts by gemmal

Thank you! Looks stupidly tasty, I know what I'll be doing this weekend... =] x
=] you guys are ace, thank you =]
CARROT CAKE! I just can't get the thing to play nice, too finely grated carrots means a mushy cake, oil too moist, then people start adding pineapple and raisins! Take it all away then its a dry cake with giant strands of carrot that has firmed up enough that it needs to come with a choking hazard warning.... Bah, its nearly Easter and time for carrot cake again! Seriously, all those carrots to be grated... It's my fave cake and yet she seems to hate me, fickle frickin...
I used this one for my families christmas cakes this year and everyone loved them (even if I did over do it with the brandy...) each one i made was different though, one had no cherries or nuts, one just no nuts, one without mixed peel etc and they all turned out great according to who was eating them. The one we had for myself and the other half had no whole nuts but did replace some of the flour with ground almonds, no cherries and no mixed peel (it was our compromise)...
:O then you know! Your animals are gorgeous, even more so if that's your first attempt! I am shamed... heehee the faces are adorable. But yeah, I'm sure most places have some kind of ready made things, there is a cake shop just a bit above london I've been to that did jelly animals and dragons with iced on details, insanely cute. I had an email this morning, an offer email from a cake place that are now selling jelly roses! I'm starting to think jelly is the way forward...
Maisie73, thats brilliant! I love your monkeys, why are there no monkeys in party hats in my life?!?!?!   Yeah thats the kind of think i mean, I've really only seen it done before with the chocolate ones, I never even though about wafers! The sweets could be like M and M's or skittles or buttons or something stuck on the sides in rows, mind you it would probably be a bit time consuming! Or those cakes with the spinkles sides from a while ago, I wonder would that look...
Ok, people are totally oblivious to how much time, effort and especially money go into making a cake, people tend to fly of the handle if they don't understand things and think they are being ripped off, me included (or, well mostly me...) but the fact that you, AS REQUESTED broke everything down individually for them and you are still the bad guy says one of two things to me. One, they either have been proved without a doubt to be acting like $%$&%*$% and have realised...
PME I know do this icing comb that looks so lovely and elegant round a cake, something like this for a nice pattern at the sides and if your are using a crusting buttercream, maybe tie some thin ribbon in between the ridges. I did something similar for a course and it looked great for something so simple. Then some piped or fondant mini simple flowers like those rolled circle roses on the top or some piped writing.   Good luck! I'm sure it will be great.=]   P.s. OOOO!...
I wish I could be more help but I think it may have something to do with the recipes used among other things. I have tried a few times to freeze my vanilla cake and every time they have come out waaaay too dense, almost as if they have collapsed in on themselves thawing. There are a ton of threads that detail ways to freeze cakes sucsessfully. Maybe some of those people could help and if it still doesnt work, maybe try another recipe. Good luck! =]
Nicki161, I have never had any luck with MMF, I think its the marshmallows over here, or at least I havent found any that have worked, Sainsburys own marshamllows/ mini charmallows/ even some american looking rocky mountain giant ones tescos stocked for a while. I have recently made Michelle Fosters Fondant, I bought the karo syrup from amazon since tescos stopped selling it in the american groceries section and its lovely stuff but for me its tescos own brand fondant...