Posts by kimmcannally

I froze my Dad's b'day cake with it already torted and filled with Hershey's Perfectly chocolate icing (vanilla cake). It was terrible. I've frozen plain cake with no problem, and maybe it's just that icing, but the cake tasted grainy and it was just plain nasty. Fortunately, I realized it and baked a fresh one for his birthday that morning.Edit: I just realized the last reply to this post was 2009! I had hit "newest posts" and didn't pay attention to how long outdated...
Thanks!
What would you suggest then? Fondant with something else under it?
When my buttercream is too sweet, I make a small container of salt water and add some to the buttercream a tsp at a time until it tastes better.
I had a customer send me this picture and I'm trying to figure out if it is fondant or buttercream. She wants a cake like this done in buttercream. Is it do-able? It will also have to be outside in August in Alabama heat! I figure I will use Indydebi's buttercream to help with that aspect.
I put mine in a snapware cupcake container then put them in the fridge. Just had one yesterday that had been in the fridge since Friday (ate it Sunday afternoon) and it was absolutely scrumptious!
I just tried the jiggler recipe - am waiting to see if it sets properly. It's (2) 3 oz packs of jell-o and 1 1/4 cups boiling water.Looks good so far, but I don't think it's quite ready to take out of the molds.
Thanks!
I got some butterfly gumpaste cutters/embossers from ebay - cheap! $3 for three sizes and they are great! I used them in my Memorial Day cupcake bouquet. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2337532/memorial-day-cupcakesSince they came quickly and work well, I ordered some more cutters as well. They come from Hong Kong, so are super cheap price-wise, but seem to work just fine. The newest things I ordered an am waiting on are rose leaf, sunflower, ivy leaves, round flowers,...
This may be a bit late, but I store my gumpaste flowers in a plastic box with lots of fiberfill to cushion them.