Posts by pieceofcake561

I just graduated from FIU with a BA in hospitality/management. The focus of the program was probably 75% how to own and manage a business and 25% culinary. They had us working in industrial kitchens and catering school events. I also have learned a lot about the culinary side of the business through the internet, books, and practice. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of the school. I am in the process of opening my own bakery so it was exactly what i...
I agree!! my nails stay short and unpolished. If you are worried about the customers thinking you are boring, then I think you have nothing to worry about. If however it is your personal preference, you could always buy one of those 4-sided nail files. They buff your nails super shiny to look as though there is clear polish on them.
Sorry it has taken me so long to post this. Thanks everyone for all of the votes and opinions. After tallying everything up here & in other votes taken, the winner is #5 (with a few alterations
Thanks everyone! Very helpful recommendations. At least now I have a place to start from
I'm looking into getting insurance for my at-home bakery. Not quite sure where to start though. What kind of insurance will I need other than liability & how much should I expect to be spending? Thanks everyone!
Thanks for the info! I did a ton of research today and saw a lot of complaints about the cheaper models and how the compressors start to give out. I ended up going with this kit:http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=ABD+KIT-CAKE-SD20Since I am just starting my business, I think it should be more than enough to get the job done. It also comes with two guns so that I can spray with a fine tip or a wider tip depending on what I need. I'll let you...
i am looking to get an airbrush for decorating my cakes. Any recommendations on good brands? Thanks!!
Wow! All of the comments are SO helpful. I would have never thought about the diamond ring, the pancakes & the coffee cup. Thanks so much everyone!! I'll post the final logo as soon as it's completed
It sounds like she admires you and your business. She asks for your help probably because she sees how successful and talented your are. Maybe she feels a little envious. Kind of the way a little sister looks up to a big sister. Just throwing ideas out there.If my friend was doing that I would make it very clear that baking is my career and I do not share my SECRET recipes with anyone. Tell her politely that you currently aren't looking to go into business with anyone...
Taking a vote!I am trying to decide which logo to use for my upcoming bakery. Piece of Cake Bakery will offer customizable cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Customers will have the ability to personally design cakes to complement their special occasion. This includes everything from tiered wedding cakes to one of a kind 3D birthday cakes. Please vote for the logo you like best (#1-#7). Changes in color or font are possible so let me know why you like/don't like the logo.Thanks...