Posts by pieceofcake561

If you're going to freeze your products, just make sure that the freezer is solely for your baked goods. Otherwise, they will absorb the smells of other items left in the freezer. You don't want your cupcakes tasting like meat and an assortment of herbs. I currently work in a bakery that freezes products and they still taste amazing after defrosting. Just make sure not to keep anything frozen for too long or you risk the chance of freezer burn. Maybe your could bake...
I agree that it's not your fault. It seems like you did the right thing. It's not like you tried to put the display together and then let it topple over. The customer got the product (which cost you time and money to create). The fact that you discounted the price due to a small inconvenience shows that you care about your customers and that's great customer service. A lot of businesses would have just left the price the same, which is alright, but your friend will...
I would assume he wants the color. Otherwise he would have said "blue royal icing".
The cost for me to make a cake that size would be $55 in fondant, batter, frosting & supports. That would leave you with $120 (if you start at $175). Now consider the amount of time it will take you to design the cake, purchase materials, bake the cake, cool the cake, frost it, decorate it, and clean up from start to finish. Other costs that need to be taken into account if applicable are: website, marketing, license fees, insurance, business phone, P.O. Box, office...
If you're not in business yet and it's just a favor then I think you should just tell them how you feel. I think I would rather be told than feel obligated to eat a cake made by someone who had mono. Is there someone else who may be able to make the cake if you instructed them? I had mono years ago and I can't even imagine trying to make a cake with mono... I actually had strep throat at the same time. Call them and ask what they'd like you to do. Hope you feel better!
I would require payment in full at least a couple weeks in advance. This way, you have the money before you even start making the cake. If late customers becomes a serious issue, you could charge a late fee to those who are a couple hours late. Make sure it is high enough to motivate the customer to arrive on time. No late fee payment, no cake. As long as the customer plans to arrive on time, then the policy shouldn't be an issue. Of course you could bend & alter the...
I'm considering Intuit GoPayment. Does anyone on CC have experience with them? They seem to have better reviews than square. My business is just starting up so I'm looking to avoid contracts and start-up fees.
I have been doing research on the mobile credit card devices and have found many negative reviews about the square. A ton of reviews have said that the company does not answer their phones or return emails and that many customers are having issues getting their money. The company has issues with purchases that are typed into the phone instead of swiped. (i.e. if you wanted to take a credit card over the phone instead of in person). If you have over $1000 in sales per...
Well, since the bride doesn't want fondant... what if you suggest a dummy cake with fondant to get the desired look and then have kitchen cakes with only buttercream. Best of both worlds
This should help:http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-744042.html