Posts by pieceofcake561

Thanks so much!
Hi! So I just started working at a bakery that makes everything from scratch. I am very rusty on scratch baking. I know these questions are pretty basic but I am having the hardest time finding answers online... 1) what's the deal with ounces. I know water, milk & eggs can be interchanged between weight and volume, but what about everything else?! If a recipe says 48oz of ricotta cheese do I assume weight unless its a liquid? Or is ounces always assumed to be weight if not...
The royal icing held up perfectly. It went on easily and I had no issues w it at all. It also worked well to "glue" the tiers together. You can see the cake on my Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/MyCakeBakery
Thanks so much!!
Here is the final product!! Thanks to everyone who gave such helpful advice :D    
I am SO glad to hear that it's not just me! I haven't heard of the cake safe before but will definitely look into it. SPS is also a good idea. It just drives me nuts that one trip or bump in the road and there goes several days of work. It seems so silly to get nervous about something that hasn't even happened. Wish there was a way to just not worry. On the bright side, i guess it means we really care a lot about our cakes lol
Hello!   I have had a cake business for about a year now and have had many orders.  The problem is that every time I make a cake, I get serious anxiety about the cake getting destroyed before I am able to deliver it or the customer absolutely hating it.  I have never had either of these situations happen and take many precautions to keep the cake safe prior to delivery.  However, I can't help but worry what would happen if the cake were to fall on the ground...
The top 8 tiers (blue, white & beige) are all dummy.  The base tier (4 white squares separated) is the actual cake.  The design would have served way more guests than was necessary so we opted to use dummy cake to give her the cake of her dreams while keeping the servings a bit more accurate :)  The dummies were then covered in different colored RI while the base tier was covered in white buttercream.  It's kinda hard to tell from the sketch but the lines you see in...
So I ended up mixing up a batch of royal icing for the "glue".  It worked perfectly.  Everyone loved the cake and everything went flawlessly!  Just waiting for the photographer to have pictures ready so I can post them :D
Hello there!   I will be delivering my first wedding cake tomorrow afternoon.  It is 9 tiers tall.  The bottom tier is real and the top 8 tiers are dummy.  (I have attached a photo below)  I am SO excited because it is for my older sister's wedding.  The cake is all set to go but I have a question about stacking...   I have done stacked cakes in the past but for this one I want something to "glue" the tiers together since the top is just a light styrofoam.  I am...