Posts by mylittlemod

Hi, my daughter is a newly diagnosed Coeliac.  I've always made the children's birthday cakes using the Australian Planet Cake recipes and decorated with fondant.  For my son's upcoming birthday I would like everything to be gluten free so my daughter doesn't have to worry.  Does anyone have a good mud cake recipe that is GF?  I want to be able to layer it, ganache and decorate with fondant.     I haven't made packet mixes before but I tried one out this week just to...
I made 4 large batches of gingerbread dough 10 days ago, split it into portions, wrapped it in cellophane and then in a bag and froze it.  I usually make dough and use it straight away but on this occasion I needed lots ready to hand.  I've had very different results from each batch which were all following the same recipe, sifted, weighed and measured etc.     I made some mini gingerbread houses from my own template.  I brought the dough to room temp, rolled, cut...
That should say 'greatly' appreciated. iPad typo!
I purchased chocolate fondant as an alternative to coloring rtr brown. I want to make two things: cup cake toppers with a wood grain texture effect using a mat and secondly a tree stump 6" cake again with wood effect.My issues are the fondant discs don't seem to be air drying even after a few days. They seem quite sticky and won't peel from my baking paper without stretching out of shape. My regular fondant discs made at the same time have dried. Will it dry out but just...
Thank you for your comments. I am feeling a little happier now! I've got one more to bake and will put them all together on Wed/Thurs to build up my hawaiian shirt cake. Thanks for the tip re boiling water too. Sounds good!Thank you
Eeeek! Now I am worried. I do think however the lighting isn't doing it justice (old iPhone no flash!). As the cake was very cold straight from the fridge the knife 'grazed' the chocolate across the top as it was really too firm to cut and the section where the bubbles were shows up a little more grazed. The skewer came out clean and it shrank in from the sides so fingers crossed everything is as it should be!! Thanks.
Thank you everyone. KMStreepey what you describe sounds exactly the same. A crust of bubbles centre top of the baked cake. I have skimmed off the top of one of my cakes (only by a few mms roughly 1/4") and the centre seems fine just below the surface so I guess maybe I am worrying about nothing! The outer crust tasted moist and very nice. I will be layering these cakes and slicing up to form a 3d cake so it's probably not a problem. I was just curious as to why this...
I should add that I am baking 4 of these it was on the third one I have tapped the tin on the counter to let air bubbles rise frustrated after the first two bubbled up. I did pop the bigger ones (which were still very small) but the rest are very tiny and it would be impossible to pop all of those. The recipe uses bicarb of soda and I am guessing this is what gives it the bubbles? The recipe uses 125 g or self raising and 125 g of all purpose so there is a raising agent...
Hi, I am in Sydney Australia. I am following the instructions from the cook book so adhering to their cooking times and temperature. The skewer comes out clean when I test it at the end of the cooking time. Thanks for your help!
Hi, can anyone offer me some advice as to why my mud cakes have a crust of bubbles in the centre on top after baking? It sinks ever so slightly and just means I have to level off a little more but otherwise the cake is perfect. I am using the Planet Cake chocolate mud cake recipe in an 8 inch square pan as recommended. Cooking time is 1 hour 40 mins in a 160 degree oven. I put the cake on the middle shelf and don't open the door until the time is up. The cake is...