Posts by KLCCrafts

A little bit of salt (about 1/4 tsp or to taste) will cut the sweetness without tasting salty. Use popcorn salt (finely ground salt) or dissolve regular salt in a little bit of liquid to allow for full incorporation in the icing. HTH.
Wow! Does this work? I mean, does the PB crust enough with chilling to stay in place while adding the BC? If it does this sounds awesome! You've made my day -- I never even thought of trying this but as much as I love PB I've got to try. Thanks for the heads up!
I think it's a really cute idea, but as a mom, the thought of giving my kids a knife and icing for their cookie makes me really nervous about the mess. However, a baggy filled with frosting, with instructions to snip the corner and squeeze, really seems doable and much neater. Also I would think it would be tons more fun for the kids to sqeeze vs spread. That's just the way I'd approach it as a customer, for whatever it's worth. Good luck!
A fellow CC'er has a blog entry about Georgetown Cupcakes' packaging for shipping that you might find informative:http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/review-georgetown-cupcakes-packaging-and-other-stuff/
I always use butter instead of Crisco; as far as I know all the MMF recipes use Crisco only for greasing and butter works just fine for that.
I too tried Target's powdered sugar one time, when I didn't have time to go to another store and they did not carry C&H, my normal brand. It was so awful and gritty I threw the whole batch in the garbage and then had to make time to go to another store. After reading here that the 10X processing is the real issue, I decided to give another brand a try, this time BANAH 10-X Powdered 100% Natural Confectioners' Sugar, which I just found at Walmart. The ingredients read:...
A few weeks ago I purchased several Magic Line round cake pans. I washed them by hand using Clorox Green Works dishwashing liquid, let them air dry, then stored them nested together inside my cabinet. Tonight when I was going to use them for the first time, while greasing them, I noticed a dark gray, greasy looking residue. It didn't wash out easily and I ended up using Pam spray on the pan (which I also use to remove label adhesive) and then rubbing it with a paper...
This isn't exactly what you are thinking but maybe it will help. I made individual flames for a firetruck cake (see my photos) by cutting out red flames using a oak leaf cookie cutter. The lobes on the leaf were round so I just shaped them into points with my fingers after cutting them out. I also used a knife to cut off a lobe on each side in a staggered fashion so it looked more irregular. For the inner part of the flame I cut out yellow tongues of fire partially...
That does sound yummy! But what happens if you use natural pb? That's what I normally have on hand so I was wondering if it would be a mistake to try with it.
Yeah, I had this grand design in my head for a gravity defying flamingo cake (cake body perched on one "leg" support several inches above the cake board), since my 5 year old LOVES flamingos and pink. When I floated the idea to her, she insisted she wanted a unicorn! Great, ANOTHER horse cake -- that's all my other kids ask for too. So I guess the lesson is always ask and preferably show them the sketch/inspiration first to get them on board. Now they surf the CC...