Posts by ihena81

For anyone who is curious to know, the sour cream ganache worked fine under ganache because it dries/ crusts and doesn't cause the fondant to slide off as I feared.
Hi, when I made 1.5 x the recipe I got four 12 inch layers but used only 3 because each layer rose more than expected. I think you can use the original recipe in 12 inch pans without a problem.
Hi, I'm making a triple chocolate layer cake and plan to cover the cake with sour cream ganache and fondant. My question is whether sour cream in the ganache will negatively react with the fondant. First time I used fondant, I had a carrot cake covered with cream cheese frosting and it was a total disaster. Here is the recipe for the ganache: 340g dark chocolate, chopped 100g unsalted butter 2 tbsp golden syrup 60ml whole milk room temperature 110ml sour cream, at room...
I'm surprised by some of the negative comments or attitude here; maybe I came across as snobby but that was not my intent (my apologies). As MBalaska and shanter said, everyone have different taste so I guess I will continue to search for recipes that taste good to me and maybe develop my own. Hope others like the recipes I shared in my initial post.
Hi all,   I often read online comments about how people raved about their cakes, and that "it was the best cake ever". I have tried a bunch of these recipes but I'm usually not impressed. I don't know if it's because I came from Europe (now in Canada) and have a different palette or if I have have very high expectations of flavours, textures, combinations etc. I struggle to find REALLY good recipes with a wow factor that don't contain too much of artificial or...
Hi all, I'm going to attempt to make my first car cake (Ferrari 458 italia). I've read many tutorials and watched a lot of YouTube videos and have decided to use white chocolate ganache instead of buttercream. I had planned to steam the car after covering with fondant to give it a shiny look but I'm not sure if the ganache will tolerate the steam. I understand that white chocolate ganache is already softer than regular ganache and I'm worried that all my effort will be...
So here's what I ended up doing: I made 1.5x the recipe in two 12 inch pans. I made two batches that gave me four layers. I used only three of them because the layers were so tall. Next time, I won't bother scaling the recipe if using 12 inch pans. I totally forgot to place the baking core in the pan, but I did use the baking strips for the first time and reduced the temperature to 325. I baked the cakes for an hour. They came out perfectly and did not dome at all. The...
Hi everyone! I'm making a 12 inch cake for a kids birthday party this weekend and I plan to make the Hershey's perfect chocolate cake which was approved by the birthday boy. I have mostly baked 8 and 9 inch cakes so I want to make sure I'm able to nail this when I starts baking. I'm planning to double the recipe and make 4 layers in 12 inch pans. I will have to make this in two batches as I don't have an oven that can fit 4 12 inch pans at the same time. Do you think the...
I used colored Kwik fondant and must say I was very pleased. It's very easy to work with. I have never done fondant cakes until now. I took a George Brown course where we covered a dummy cake with ready made fondant provided by the school and it was fussy to work with. Kwik fondant does not need icing sugar or shortening at all. Take it out and start working it directly on a clean counter (mine was quartz). The warmth from your hands makes the fondant pliable and easy to...
I followed a red velvet cupcake recipe found online with lots of good reviews. I sifted the sugar because it was lumpy, then creamed butter and sugar as directed in the recipe. I used a stand mixer to prepare the batter, during and after finishing the batter, I used a spatula to clean the sides and bottom. However, when putting the batter in the cupcake liners, I noticed some white lumps. After baking, some of these white bubbles "surfaced and burst". I sampled one and...