Posts by bluesugar

Thank you guys for your help!
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to replicate this picture out of cake?  I am particularly unsure of the "swoosh".  Any help would be fantastic!
Thank you very much! I'll slice it and put in cake boards and dowels. That was what I planned to do but had an "uh oh what if this doesn't work out" moment and didn't want to waste my time. I flipped the one half cake upside down only very briefly while I was wrapping it to place in the freezer and it instantly cracked. In hind sight, I should have just wrapped it to a board or something.
I am trying to make a very large baseball cake using only cake. I used 4 quart bowls. I am wondering if I can indeed make the bottom out of cake or if I'll need to use styrofoam for the bottom instead. I was planning on supporting the top but the bottom, once turned upside down has cracked. I used a sturdy pound cake so changing the type of cake likely won't help. I was wondering if I sliced the half sphere into 2 inch thick pieces, if I could manage to use dowels and...
I use the Wilton chart. I find that most, if not all, caterers around here cut the cakes according to this method. You can find the serving sizes of many different sized and shaped pans here:http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfmAs for pricing, it's up to you how much you charge and how you decide to charge for your cakes but what I do, and in my opinion the easiest way, is per serving. You set your price per serving and use the...
Thank you. I haven't heard back from the bride yet so I'm going to do my best to forget about it. I went on vacation so that helped a lot! What great timing.I haven't been able to make my Satin Ice fondant work for me. I've been trying to troubleshoot online and my problems seem to be common. I think I'll try another brand. Maybe I'll try making my own MMF. I just don't want to put the time and effort into it. It may be worth it, though!
I think that cake is adorable as well! You certainly covered up any imperfections you had nicely. I can't imagine having to actually sit through an event where you provided a cake that you were unhappy with. At least everyone else liked the way it looked and it tasted great. I bet it was great!
You don't end up with too much fondant on the bottom half causing it to overlap?
I also wrap my cakes in cling wrap. I only use two layers, though, and have never had a problem. Three certainly wouldn't hurt. I wrap them tightly with cling wrap and then put one layer of aluminum foil on. I place this directly into the freezer. You can put it on a cake board or use a pan if you want something sturdy to place it on. To defrost, I place the cakes on the counter overnight while still wrapped. The condensation stays on the outside. I unwrap it once it's...
That was my plan. With a baseball, there is only one seam so I'd need two pieces. I guess I'll make a template and see how it goes.