Posts by SaraReubens

When someone orders a cake or cupcakes that require a great deal of behind the scenes work and then change their mind numerous times before finally settling on what they want, do you charge them for your time that they wasted by changing what they wanted? Or do they only pay for the finished product? How do other people handle this sort of situation? The details of what I'm currently going through are below.I was asked by the company I work for (cakes are my...
OK, so to update on my quest for a home processor's permit. The gentleman at the Department of Agriculture said I couldn't sell cakes with a home processor's license and that it didn't even involve a home kitchen inspection, but he would have someone from that department contact me anyway. The woman that called me said that not only would she need to inspect my kitchen for cleanliness and health standards (she couldn't legally send me a list but she mentioned gloves,...
I live in Rochester and I literally JUST got off the phone with a gentleman from the Department of Agriculture and because I had said I wanted the Home Processor registration for cakes he almost wouldn't send anyone out to my house. He said that this registration is ONLY for people selling to a farmers market and if you plan to sell in any other way you have to go to the Department of Health and have a commercial kitchen. However, I then indicated to him that I wanted to...
Sorry. I meant the New York State Dept of Agriculture.
I JUST got off the phone with the Dept of Agriculture in Monroe County and was informed that the Home Processor registration is not for cake businesses at all. Apparently cakes should not even be listed on the description for this registration. It is only for cookies and breads and sweets sold at a farmers market. He told me to contact the Department of Health, though I believe this will end with them telling me I need to build a commercial kitchen off of my home if I...
I've just started looking into getting a Home Processor certificate for my home kitchen and I notice that something very important has changed since this discussion began. The following is copied directly from the HP information page from the NYS Department of Agriculture webpage:NOTE: Direct internet sales (commercial on-line transactions) are prohibited under this exemption. Use of the internet for communication or promotional purposes is permissible.Looks like the...