Posts by wyowolf

Thanks so much! I would prefer to use ganache in all my cakes, but lots of my customers request buttercream - hence the question! I'm not sure what a torte is...or an apricot glaze! I'm very, very new to baking.
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I can't find the answers I need. I've been experimenting with poured ganache, and I'm wondering what works best underneath? I've tried frosting with ganache, letting it set overnight, and then pouring more over the top. That worked well. I've also tried using swiss meringue buttercream underneath, because I like the smooth appearance, but the ganache melted it. I didn't put the cake with the buttercream in the...
I know this is an old topic, but if anyone can answer I would appreciate it! What type of buttercream do you use under the pourable ganache? American Buttercream (powdered sugar, butter, cream and vanilla)? Or SMBC? Or another kind? I tried SMBC under ganache once, and it melted - but I didn't put the cake in the fridge before pouring the ganache. Would it have worked if I would have let the SMBC set up on the cake?
I've been experimenting with poured ganache, and I'm wondering what works best underneath? I've tried frosting with ganache, letting it set overnight, and then pouring more over the top. That worked well. I've also tried using swiss meringue buttercream underneath, because I like the smooth appearance, but the ganache melted it. I haven't tried anything else underneath. Thanks in advance for the advice!
What a horrible experience! It's people like that who give the rest of us good home bakers a bad name. You most definitely should have asked for your money back. But welcome to cake central! Maybe you've found a new, fun hobby?
I'm sorry for everyone's horror stories - but thank you for sharing them! None of these things ever crossed my mind! Now I can be prepared!
Thanks again for all the advice! I just tried my new magic line square pan, and it is AMAZING!!
Thank you for the advice, both on pans and on getting cakes to stop sticking!
I'm looking for some advice on brands of cake pans. I've been making small two and three tier cakes, and don't like the pans I've been using. Which brands have other people had success with? I've been using lightweight aluminum pans from both Wilton and Fat Daddio's, and both seem to have issues with sticking - no matter what coating I use. My bigger, heavier cake pan that isn't name brand (Wal-Mart special) never has issues with sticking.