Posts by wyowolf

Has anyone used Ann Byrne's "The Best Red Velvet Cake" recipe in a carved cake? I'm wondering if it is dense enough to be carved. Thanks!Here's the recipe, just in case: 1 (18.5-ounce) package plain butter recipe golden cake mix2 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder1 1/3 cups buttermilk1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted3 large eggs1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract1 teaspoon baking soda1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
I should have mentioned I'm working with a doctored cake mix, not a scratch recipe. Stsapph, have you used them interchangeably in a doctored cake mix recipe? The type where you add eggs, sour cream, pudding (hence my issue)? BakingIrene, I'm glad to know that they are NOT interchangeable in a scratch recipe. Thank you for that advice!
I'm wanting to know if you can substitute jello gelatin for jello pudding in recipes? I'm not sure what the gelatin does for recipes, aside from adding flavor. I believe the pudding adds density?
Can anyone tell me what dimensions Earlene's cake servings sizes are? Everyone says her servings sizes are more generous than Wilton's, but I can't find any specific dimensions. I know Wilton's are 1" x 2" x height of the cake. Thanks so much!
Thank you again for all of the help and ideas! It turned out pretty good in the end - if you're interested, I posted some pictures: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2380245/western-wedding-cake
Thank you for all the advice. Baking good cakes is much harder (at least for me) than the decorating part of cakes! I pm'd a few of you with some follow-up questions, I hope nobody minds.
I'm in the middle of baking for my first wedding cake, and I'm having some trouble with my big cake pans. I'm using Magic Line 3" deep pans, in 10", 8", 6" and 4". The first recipe I used http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-742248.html came out sunk in the middle in all four cakes. I did use a heating core in the 10" one, but it still sunk in the middle. All of them came out too moist also, and I followed the recipe exactly. The second recipe I used, one that...
Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to try Michelle Foster's Fondant! I like MMF, but if there's something even better out there, I'm all for it!
Also, don't be afraid to knead the MMF for five minutes or more. When I get the fondant onto the cake, I use a bit of Crisco to help smooth it all down. That keeps it from tearing, and the "shine" from the Crisco dries off and goes away in a few hours. Because MMF is so stretchy and can show lumps, it's super important that the buttercream or ganache on the cake is as smooth as possible. I'm sure you already have a technique to do that, but just in case you don't, here is...
I've never used anything but homemade MMF, and it's always works great for me. In fact, I've never even tried store bought fondant. If you want to give it another try, I have some ideas. Only use 2 Tablespoon of water per 16oz bag (use mini marshmallows). If you add Lorann Oil, adjust the water so that only 2 TB. of liquid are going in.You don't have to sift the powdered sugar. I never have. If possible, make the MMF right before you cover the cake, and then put it on...