Posts by TheSweetTreat

MisterCake: Comon, that was harsh and unnecessary.
I tried this method a few weeks back and by letting the cake sit out for about 20 minutes the ganache softened just enough for the fondant to adhere to it, but not lose it's shape. I didn't do it on purpose, it just happend that way and I realized it worked fine.
Actually, a lot of wedding vendors like to operate this way where when they pass on business to you they take a small cut of your profit you received from that client. It usually just stops there. For instance, I refer someone to you for cake, they hire you, you give me 10%, done. You have to view it like it's money spent on advertising. Some people are ok with paying commissions like that, and others, like myself, are not. I'd rather find my own clients and keep all...
Swiss Meringue buttercream is a great option. Also there's a recipe here for Fluffy American buttercream that tastes like swiss meringue, but is much simpler to make and doesn't crust.
I AM a photographer and have shot several weddings and assisted many many more and I have NEVER told the bride when the cake should arrive. It just arrives when it does and I take photos, end of story. That request is NOT normal and I would certainly ask the bride why the photographer wants the cake there so early in the day?Also, Leah's advice sounds great. You may not have many years of cake experience, but you need the confidence that you do. If you speak to the...
I just purchased a cupcake party a few months ago for my daughter turning 5. There were about 12 5 year olds as well. The party was held at the cupcake shop. They say they charge $99 for a party, but when they released their Groupon for $75 they said their party was normally $150. So, I think there was some deceit there, but either way. They're either charging $99 or $150 for a cupcake party providing 30 cupcakes, icing, and some toppings. That's it. Oh, and the...
If it's your party and you're very worried about it going a certain way then I think you have every right to be honest with her about her cakes. I would feel so foolish if I had been delivering dry cakes and not one single person was telling me the truth. I think it's a disservice to her. I know it's easyfor me to say 'be honest', but I think it's best. I'm also sensitive about being lied to or even 'white' lies. I think your other option is to let her make the cake...
I have some of this icing in my freezer right now. I had it on the counter for a few days and then moved it to my fridge. Pulled it out and iced a cupcake and then threw the rest in the freezer. I'm thinking it will not spoil, but I will probably have to whip it good in my mixer when I'm ready to use it again. I can't answer about melting in the heat, because I haven't had it in heat. I use an all butter version.
It's my understanding that you would just carve the cake into that shape. Then apply the fondant, etc.
This is a good post for me to read as I sit here feeling guilty that I'm not in my kitchen right now working on 1st birthday cookies for a friend that have to ship on Monday. My brain has shut down so I'm going to safely stay in my bed. So sorry to hear about your disaster, though. I would probably make that mistake in the middle of the day! Good luck with your cake and I'm sure it will turn out beautifully