Posts by Blueridgebuttercream

Could any of you recommend your favorite tool for creating a brickwork impression on fondant?  I'm making a castle cake. Thanks!  
Thanks for the second post Norasmom - that was all I really wanted to know to satisfy my curiosity of what my friend would have paid for a similar cake if she had had to buy one. Well, DeliciousDesserts, I thought my adding "if it were you making it correctly, without my errors" would make it clear enough that I am well aware of my failure with this cake and make it unnecessary for anyone to belabor the point.  Obviously not.  I know a normal bride would have hated my...
Out of curiosity, what would you charge for this cake design (if it were you making it correctly, without my errors)?     Cake is 6" lemon ginger with lemon SMBC, 9" pumpkin spice with Maple SMBC, 12" chocolate with chocolate SMBC, all covered with silk meringue buttercream under the MMF.  Please note, I'm not asking what I should charge, or how to figure pricing.  This cake was a wedding present, so I didn't bother to figure out my costs for it.  I'm just...
Thanks, you two.  I'll have to try those to see if that helps.  Irene, I figured it was supposed to have bubbles, so I'll see if that technique helps.   
Thanks, scrumdiddlycake.  Cool, I wouldn't have thought it'd be that easy.  A four cup batch? 
What do you all use for a custard/pastry cream type filling?  I'd like to have a reliable custard-type filling to offer.  I've made RLB's creme anglaise, but that's very definitely a pourable consistency, so not appropriate for a filling by itself.  I've been experimenting with the French Custard from Whimsical Bakehouse, but I think I'm doing it wrong.  The recipe is something like: 3 yolks 1 c. milk approx. 1/3 c sugar 2 Tbs. corn starch My instructions...
Okay, wow, that is a huge help!  Thanks!  
A friend of mine has asked me if I can make a dragon wedding cake, something like this: http://weddingcakesx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/big1-1.jpg or this: http://freespace.virgin.net/tony.fisk2/janescakes/wedding1/weddragon.jpg , except she wants the dragon to be crawling up the side of the cake.  I'm debating whether I can do this or not, so I'm stalling on responding to her email. With a large dragon like this, what do you use - all fondant/gumpaste?  Or...
When I've made it, I only put in enough chocolate for a medium chocolate color/flavor and there was no discernible difference.  According to The Cake Bible, if you add enough chocolate, it does eventually get stiffer.   
I've been wondering the same thing about the "whip 10 minutes" instructions.  Last time I made a large batch my furnace was broken so room temp was 58 degrees and after 25 minutes of whipping the meringue was still at 98 degrees.  I always thought the recipe writers must live in some alternate universe where the laws of physics are different; however, now that I hear kikiandkyle's explanation that they're not heating the KA bowl, I have to admit that is perhaps a little...