Posts by PressedApples

Most likely, the cake will be sponge. But since it's not a catered event, I don't think the cake will be portioned into squares, like a caterer would, but rather slices. And that's why I'm worried if I make it just big enough to leave room for only a few extra servings, the slices could be cut too big which would result in not enough.  
I'm not really sure if this is the correct category for this thread but I hope you all will be understanding and willing to help me out anyway, as you all usually are! =] So pretty soon I will be making and decorating a 3 tier baby shower cake. It's not going to be big, as the mom-to-be only needs about 30 or so servings. My dilemma is that going by Wilton charts, a 6-8-10" serves 60 (which I know she doesn't need, but depending on the sizes of the slices cut, it will...
I'm having trouble with this 4-tier cake. I'm trying to get damask, fondant ruffles and a bow onto one cake.. but I just can't figure out how to do it. Normally I wouldn't have a problem. Maybe the 4th tier is throwing me off, since I'm so used to only having to think about 3?? I have no idea. The BTB likes this cake but I'd like to tie in the damask and bow (her centerpieces have the black & white damask and the chairs at all her tables have huge bows on the...
Take a piping bag with an open star tip (larger, maybe 1M) or a closed star tip (maybe 2D, this is medium sized, but its edges fall differently than an open 1M) and starting from the middle, pipe in a circle and keep your swirls pretty close, but no to close that they come out misshapen.   Like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4EVpGiV6Ns << her second example is what you want to do.
So, a co-worker of a cousin of mine has asked me to make her wedding cake for her wedding in October. It's about 3 weeks away. A couple of weeks ago I sent her some sketches with descriptions.. I didn't know how much I could do without any color concept whatsoever. She wants a WHITE cake. And she likes different details from 3 of her favorites that I had drawn out for her. From one cake she liked the fondant ruffle detail. Her second favorite was the sanding sugar effect...
Thanks. Yes, I realized that the long dowel in the middle didn't get pushed through to the base board so I had to push it down some more with another one. Yes, the cake was entirely chilled before transporting but it was just so hot in the car it thawed out quickly.. the drive was just over an hour. What I did was take a bench scraper and smooth it, then add some more buttercream, then smooth again. The dent was so deep the white BC underneath had come through.
So I had my cake all iced and decorated but when it was time to transport, so many things went wrong! I'd made and stacked a buttercream cake that was two colors, one tier hot pink the other two brown/leopard. Everything was fine until it came time to take the cake.. my ac in the car went out (just before I was supposed to take the cake, go figure!!), it was cool outside but even with the windows open it was rather hot. Driving through the tunnels of Boston in 5 o'clock...
Trust me, I've tried (and failed) to get him to reconsider a 5 tiered ruffle cake. He's got his heart set on it. I asked him to consider a 3 tier.. but he says he'd love a 5 tier so much more, and it's a tower cake no less hahaJust last week there was a request for a ruffle cake that was done in buttercream.. and it was completed very quickly, probably no more than 15 minutes (the woman who did is most certainly efficient!) and he absolutely HATED it. So, it's safe to say...
Recently I did a small cake using the ruffled fondant. I used a teriyaki stick to ruffle the edges of a circle of fondant and then stuck the strip onto the side of a cake. Afterwards, my fingers were KILLING me! For a couple days after, actually. A co-worker who is getting married next year would like a five tier wedding cake.. covered in ruffled fondant, of course. Only that technique would probably be a week of nonstop work, and no one else knows how to do it. Where I...
Okay, so.. there may be a thread already on this topic but I haven't been able to search (for some reason my computer's not letting me search using exact words or is it the website? Either way..) and I just have a couple of questions.I've been baking and decorating for about four years now and my hand still shakes! Which means I still suck at piping with buttercream. So...(1) Why are fondant scroll/damask cutters so expensive? I've searched a few websites and sometimes for...