Posts by HeatherHBA

Thanks Jason, I was wondering whether I should really be working more quickly! Speed seems to be the key to profitability. As for the idea of mail order sales, for now that is on hold. I found out that Virginia allows an exemption from state inspection for baked goods that do not require time or temperature control for safety after preparation (which I assume includes cookies?? not really sure what "time control" means). They just have to be labeled as not having been...
Thanks everyone for your help! I've been doing more research on the issue and there does seem to be a lot of incorrect information floating around out there. I've got a call in to the VA Dept of Agriculture and I'll probably also end up having to contact the FDA directly. I am most definitely *not* interested in violating state and federal regulations so that's not an issue. My problem is that it seems like the cost involving in selling legally is too high to be able...
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I am very new to baking but really enjoy it, especially decorating cookies. Obviously I need some time to practice, but if one day I get pretty good at cookie-decorating I would like to turn my hobby into a profitable enterprise. Etsy has several mail order cookie shops and this seemed like an easy way to begin. I have a feeling many of those shops are selling illegally out of their homes; I would prefer to rent a commercial kitchen....