Posts by Paige1990

I have a customer wanting to order a 5 tier cake (16", 12", 10", 8", & 6") and she is asking for a large amount of gum paste roses cascading down the side of the cake. She also wants Rich's Bettercreme whipped frosting. My question is, is this a disaster waiting to happen? Will the frosting support the weight of the roses? I plan to use the pre-made rose foam cones to remove some of the weight, but I don't know if that will be enough. I have a friend who swears by the...
Does anyone know how you would go about making the purple wrapper on this cake? Should I make it ahead of time and set the cake inside of it, or wrap it around the cake? Also how would I achieve the fluted top?
I am having to make a Christmas themed cake. It can be up to two tiers. I am making it for a class and it is required that the cake be covered in fondant, have a pulled/blown sugar element, and a modeling chocolate element. I have several different ideas running around in my head, I'm just not sure what I could do. I was thinking about maybe making a cookie jar, or making it look like a gift box, but I'm not sure.
I am making a 3 tier graduation cake and I just wanted to know what would look better? A 8in, 10in, and 12in, or an 8, 12, 16? The number of serves doesn't matter because I am also providing a larger sheet cake for extra servings.
How would I disassemble a cake for service? Should I put wax or parchment paper on both sides of the board to avoid the buttercream from the cake underneath one tier from sticking to the board of the cake on top? I am doing my first wedding cake this saturday and they are needing my to serve and it's making me very nervous!
I am wanting to put fondant draping on a buttercream cake. Is this possible, or will the weight of the drapes cause them to slide off the buttercream? If I roll them really thin, use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant, and use a good adhesive, will I be able to achieve this without having to use a non edible support (skewers) to attatch the draping to the cake?