Posts by vgcea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7IXZ0yUqY4 Bwahahahaha! Apti, you have a special spot in my heart
Good question! Unfortunately even some of the pastry chefs I've met tout how great and "easy" using the mix is and encourage its use. It's like they're too lazy to teach the real thing.Thanks for the responses and the laughs everyone.
CWR41 is right on. I would go with 6 inch round cakes per table for the guests. Jason has given you good tips on pricing. While you're at it, check out the thread on "Economies of Scale" on the first page of this forum. There are some tips there you might like to consider.
LOL! Thanks for the candor costumeczar. For some reason I never got a notification, actually had to search for the topic. Good lawd, so what does work?
DISCLAIMER: This is not a scratch vs mix thread please.I'm in pastry school, and I overheard a fellow classmate describing her future plans for a fancy, gourmet cupcake shop. Then she says, "I don't want to bake from scratch though, baking from scratch is so ugh, too much trouble." That got me thinking, doesn't gourmet imply that it's made skillfully from-scratch?What exactly qualifies as a "gourmet" cake?
I agree. Probably the bottom level are real cakes but the top would have to be dummies.
When discussing freezing vs not freezing OR baking well in advance, I think it is also important to pay attention to what types of designs or cakes a baker/decorator is producing. Cakes that are minimally decorated, single tier, non-3-D can be done the way scp1127 describes. But when you have a 4 tier wedding cake with super complicated decor or 3-D carving like BakingIrene described, baking the night before delivery is not a smart move. These are 2 completely different...
Thanks for breaking it down like that Jason. Just when I think I have this pricing thing down, I find something new to learn. I'm going to look into incorporating this and the suggestion Costumeczar brought up about working faster. I'm beginning to understand why some fancy shmancy cake decorators still provide simpler, less customized cakes for the clients on a budget. Using Costumeczar's example, three of those can be knocked out for more profit than one super...
AZCouture, I agree. I believe Jason's point is pointing at a way to encourage the customer to buy not necessarily more cake but just enough cake that we maximize the input that goes into the cake. For the example I used, I think finding a way to encourage the client to decide on 24 cupcakes per flavor rather than 12 would maximize what I put into the cake.Jason could you please expand on the bolded point? I don't quite understand.
That is a great idea Jason, thank you. Three of the flavors have a similar base, so I'll probably be able to knock those out together.