Posts by Lucyem

I am bumping this because i was wondering the same thing. We are in the process of moving to MD.Though if i were to guess, the fees involved would be too much for the casual home cake baker.
I took a course at King Arthur Flour.  We made 2 ganache fillings.  Chilled overnight.  We scooped them out in ball shapes and then dipped them into tempered chocolate.  We then rolled them in powdered sugar.  With the cream etc in the ganache we made I am not sure how long they would store.  I have read to keep homemade chocolates between 65-68 degrees in an airtight container.  Some people refrigerate.  If they get too cold the cocoa butter can cause the chocolate to...
I first started with any melting chocolate last Christmas.  Wilton was perfectly fine.  Then I tried working with some over the summer and got the lumpy mess.  I had suspected what you all are saying - that it was too old.  Over the holidays they sell more and are fresher and for my needs they are local and inexpensive.  Perfect for my kids to use.     Any advice for some online sources of merkins or other fresh candy melts?  Next time I have a project involving...
I actually posted asking for help with the stuff. Only got a couple of replies. You had a bunch which is very helpful. I will have to try the tips with the last of the Satin Ice I have.
I am relatively new to using fondant and have been trying different pre made fondants as well as making my own. I have been using up a tub of Satin Ice and it is driving me a little crazy. It is so not workable for me. It is like it is too wet and sticky but at the same time has no elasticity. As I roll it out I have to add a lot of confect sugar/cornstarch and then as I pick it up it just breaks and is still all sticky. It is humid right now here but I bought the tub...
I purchased three as well - Jacqueline Butler, Marina Sousa and Joshua Russell. My background is limited in the cake world to WIlton classes and any free videos I have found online. I do have an extensive background in clay and sculpture. I paid less then $20 per class. Marina's was $14. Joshua's class gave me lots of tips and tricks I have found handy to use. His style and mine are very different so I did not go through making the projects. I am still practicing a...
I do think they can be worth it. For me it was a way to get my feet wet, learn some basics and then go from there. Our teacher was very good. Been teaching Wilton classes for years and has her own small business. She was willing to give advice and discuss non Wilton ways/products as well.
In my Wilton class we used 26 gauge, green for the leaves and white for the petals. Using (of course) the Wilton wire.
I finally have a recipe and a system for getting great fondant cutouts on my cricut. But it does take a couple of days to make the fondant, get it ready to cut and some playing with the cricut to get good cuts. (Thank you Linda McClure!!!!! Your YouTube videos were fabulous! )My probably stupid question of the day is how long would you store the fondant cutouts before putting on a cake? And how would you store them? Also how long do you think they would keep? ...
Eaton's in NH has a ton of stuff. But their prices are high.There is another cake supply store further north in NH. I forget where but I have been told their prices are much more reasonable and have an extensive store as well.In Concord NH there is a tiny little store with limited product but in a pinch they are handy for me because they are local. Hello Epicurian Delights I had not heard about you. I might have to make a trip over your way soon.