Posts by Cakepro

Old thread, I know...but I'm about to make the light box and am wondering if it's worth it to buy two $30 sunlight lamps or two cheap-o halogen desk lamps.   Please advise! :)  Thank you!
Create a shield by cutting a hole in a sheet of paper that is the size of your boo-boo and use that to airbrush the problem spot.  The shield will protect the rest of your cake from overspray.   I hate when little things like that drive me crazy. :)
Trying using melted white chocolate or candy melts (after you wipe off any remaining the piping gel).  Piping gel can't be used as glue for a job like that.  You need to chocolate so it will set up and harden.   You can do it! :)
Mantisagogo!  What a small world! :D  I miss my reef tanks so much but oh my stars, they took up all of my free time.  I was a SAHM back then so it was wonderful but there is no way these days I could have another tank.     I'm so sorry to hear about your printer disaster.  I had another one myself this past week.  I have no idea how, but the new problem is that blue gets UP INTO THE YELLOW INK TANK.  Twice, I had to manually empty the yellow tank (goodbye expensive...
  I would recommend that you buy or borrow a rosary in order to make a mold of the crucifix and the centerpiece.  I think I saw that Marvelous Molds or maybe First Impressions makes a crucifix mold.   If you are giving the cake to someone who actually prays the rosary, you're going to want to make it as realistic as possible.  The rest of the rosary consists of beads, which can easily be made by hand or in a bead mold. Google has lots of images of rosaries to guide you on...
Of course it's possible...and quite easy.    Simply do your zebra stripes in black fondant on purple BC (or whatever the color scheme is) and hand paint the leopard print on crusted BC for the 6" round.  I am not a fan of zebra stripes done in BC because they do not look as clean and sharp as zebra stripes cut out of fondant, and you shouldn't feel the need to charge her extra for using a plum-size ball of black fondant (if that) on the quarter-sheet for the zebra...
I use plain ol' wooden dowels in the tiers and a central dowel through the whole cake.  Transported a 5 tier this way a couple of weekends ago with no problems.  I don't use the SPS system but lots of people say great things about it.   If you are super-worried, buy a Cake Safe.
I use piping gel because it's very sticky and it's clear. I don't find it at all messy.  I smear a very thin layer on the inside of the piping gel lid and simply pick up a pearl/dragee with tweezers, touch it to the piping gel, and place on the cake.  Easy peasy.   I see pics of cakes where people have used BC or RI to stick on pearls and I do not like that little bit of space between the pearl and the cake.  It's just me being a perfectionist but the piping gel...
    With all due respect, I think you should offer advice based on *experience* and not on what you've heard.     I don't know what your level of caking is or what education you've had in food safety...but advising someone that leaving a cake out at room temperature with the only worries being dust or "particles from the air" is absolutely IRRESPONSIBLE. Cakes DO perish.  Even cakes made from straight-up preservative-laden boxed mixes are subject to degradation and...
Yes, you absolutely CAN freeze a fully decorated, fondant-covered cake with gumpaste decorations.   I have done it before with absolutely NO problems.   It's all in the wrapping and the thawing.    Here was the first one I froze fully decorated, because I made it two weeks too early.  LOL  http://cakecentral.com/image/id/419633/width/400/flags/LL   I would *never* tell a client to serve one of my cakes after it sat in the fridge for a week!!  That's freaking crazy.  That...