Posts by klamb17

I have a few questions and hope someone could help me. I have been making cakes to use under MMF. I have only used buttercream icing between the layers and over the cake before the fondant. I REALLY want to start using tasty fillings other than buttercream but I am scared that it will not hold up between the layers. What is a good base for fillings? I would like a thick creamy maybe whipped filling that I can add fruit, crumbled cookies, etc too. Should I cut my cake in...
Pearl645, Sorry just saw your message. I colored some gumpaste and made the 8 into a S shape and connected it with a piece of toothpick and tylose glue to make it look like a 8. They don't take long to dry! The 1 had a toothpick in the bottom of it so I stuck it in the cake and with my tylose glue attached the 8 to it. Klamb
Thanks everyone! Yeah I should know better about taking pictures without a prop because I used to make alot of crafts and sell online..lol! Next time I will make sure I use something behind the cake. We did eat the bottom piece, it was pretty good but I don't think I put enough BC icing because the middle layer was thin and it looked a little melted or softened, and the cake kinda soaked in a little.(and yes the cakes were completely cooled in my fridge) ..if that makes...
Very cute cake, and I agree with everyone about not charging enough. I know where I live people want walmart prices too. I don't think they even have a clue of how much time it involves plus talent. You are getting a custom cake, not a frozen one at walmart or costco. I have the same problem too, it's hard to tell people how much you charge sometimes. In all honesty though, with my budget I wouldn't pay anyone for my prices unless it was a special event, wedding,...
Wow you guys must work fast. I did my first 3 tiered cake this week. It needed to be done by Friday evening. I baked 3 cakes tues, and 3 cakes wed. I crumb coated all wednesday night. Thursday and Friday I spent decorating them. I mean that is ALOT of work when your mixing, baking, and making a mess at the same time and trying to clean, make fondant and icing! Whew! lol. I can't work fast or rush, I get anxious and lose focus and get frustrated at the same time. lol.
Yes she loves it! She doesn't want to cut it! LOL
jgifford, yeah I agree "the worn out jean look" lol for the dry fondant.
cwr41,wow, I thought all people supported each tier of their cake with wooden dowels, maybe I took that for granted. Yes, the top and second tier is on cakeboard, I have at least 5 dowel rods in the bottom tier holding the second one, and in the second tier I have another 5 holding the top tier. Sorry didn't know I had to be so specific...I just thought this was the way it was done. I was wondering about the big dowel going through the middle of the whole cake, I don't...
Carmijok, I think you may have misunderstood my post, I do have support under each tier, just not a big dowel through the whole 3 layers. I would never stack a cake without support! lol. Thanks for the "your" I totally didn't pay attention, my sister corrected me too, I fixed it!
Thanks! If you look really close at the bottom tier it's cracked and has small holes. It looks pretty yucky in person. I took an old pair of "clean" lol jeans and pressed them into the fondant. After I put the fondant on the cake I took a paint brush and dry brushed white coloring, (powder form) to make some places look lighter than others. I wish I had a airbrush.