Posts by klamb17

Thanks for the help!   Yortma, I am probably doing 2" layers, and putting 2 together for each tier...so about 4 inches or so.  I have never made a scratch cake, but if this is a no fail recipe lol, I'm all for it. Would you say that the white cake mix would fill a 10" pan well? or do I need to make a double batch? I think the white and red (strawberries)  would be great considering that's her colors. I have heard something about simple syrup for keeping a...
Hello,   I am making my first wedding cake, yeah scary. lol. I have made about 10 themed cakes before and I am very nervous about my first wedding cake. You know that's the one thing at a wedding people love to see and eat. Anyway I have a couple of questions and would love some help!!   I usually use the WASC recipe. It is a heavy cake. I want to do some kind of strawberry filling. I am scared my filling will get absorbed into the cake, how to I prevent this? Do...
How does satin ice taste?
I am really giving up on MMF!!!! I have made it and made it and only a few times did it come out right. I have NO IDEA what I am doing wrong! Everytime I see it on the internet it looks so smooth and beautiful, it makes me sick. This is what I am doing. Melt 16 0z of mm with 2-3 tbs water. I sift 3/4 of a 2lb bag of p/s, and I put this on top of the melted mm after they have melted. (The rest of the p/s is put on a lightly greased countertop. I grease my hands and start...
How do I make the criss cross lines on a cake without using a plastic molded piece to indent the fondant? After the criss cross is done, then I think pearls are usually added at the points where they meet. It looks sorta like a quilt I guess...don't know how to explain it. I am doing a 10 round cake and would add it to the cake.Thanks
wow...my jaw just dropped open....I never would have thought that much. I really want to be more firm with my price, guess I need the backbone to do it. If I had to say how many hours, I guess at least 24-28 hrs. I need to call around to some bakeries, which are at least 30 miles from me and ask some prices. In the area I am in, it's not to many who could afford a $500 cake. But I definately see your points, and appreciate your advise. Thanks alot for your help.
wow, I have no idea how many hours. I am a slow worker, to picky, so by the hour probably wouldn't work for me lol. I was just hoping someone would give a ball park figure of how much they would charge. Thanks
Hi~I have a question about pricing on a guitar cake. I don't make to many cakes, maybe one cake per 2-3 months, but I have someone that wants a guitar. Wood finish and approx. 2 ft in length (total). I am a detailed person, and would like to add the cords and all. I have NO idea what to charge this person. I am looking at alot of work though. I am using MMF and guessing there will be gumpaste used also. I may make a music sheet or two around the guitar. I was thinking...
Well I don't own my own business, this is just family, friends, and their friends..friends...lol, if you know what I mean. I mean some of these people I don't know at all, they have just seen my cakes or someone I know have told them. But still! It takes alot of time, and I am dedicated to making good cakes. I tell people at least a two week notice. I like to make my MMF and gumpaste at least 4 or 5 days ahead of time, to let it rest. That's not including making all the...
I am soooo tired of giving people ball park figures, sketching designs and working on an idea for a few days, then calling them to let them know the real price only to get turned down. Arhhh...it's really annoying me! I feel like saying, "My cakes start at 75", so then they will know all my work, sweat and making a nice cake is not cheap! I like to do alot of detail, I don't just throw one together. Does anyone here do that?...tell people this is what they START at? I...