Posts by Jeepgirl73

Might not be at all but do you drink any caffeinated drinks within a few hours of decorating?Coffee, tea, pop? I was getting really frustrated with my shaky hands then someone who did murals on wall was talking at a party I was at and she mentioned how the murals could take 2-3 days for her and the worst part was she couldn't have coffee to keep her energy up because her hands would shake. So I stopped drinking coffee on days I was decorating ....no shakes. I know this...
This is my favourite tutorial on smooth buttercream. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-682196-0.htmlIt's by user Tutugirl I have read others and I have DVD's but this tutorial was so simple and the first time I read this thread my buttercream came out perfect. I live in Canada and we don't have Viva papertowel so I just use parchment paper to smooth
I made a full size basketball cake completely out of cake. I stacked 6 square cakes, not sure exactly the size of the pans...I used my basketball to judge , as it was a few years ago, one of my first cakes. I carved it sphere shaped. doweled it half way through. Turned out great.
I was thinking along the lines of what MsThang ...but maybe cut your zebra stripes out of white fondant then paint them with food colouring after they are on and dry. Would be time consuming but at least you know there wouldn't be any change of bleeding
Before I found this website I found Edna's Design me a Cake website and had been making the wasc for the past 2 years without knowing it was the one on here. Anyway I made my own chocolate version of it and it works great for me ...cooks amazing in any pan I use and for cupcakes. 2 boxes chocolate fudge DH 2 cups flour2 cups sugar1 tsp saltstill the 8 egg whites 4 tblsp oil 2 cups sour cream 2 2/3 cups water 4 square bakers chocolate , melted I also cook at 325 , like I...
I never used smbc for the past 2 years for that exact reason ...way too buttery. Until I came on here and started trying recipes. I don't remember the name of the recipe exactly ( well dressed smbc might be close) but it is 1 cup granulated sugar , 3 sticks of butter , 5 egg whites and when I made it ..LOVED it. So smooth and definitely not overwhelming butter flavour. Also holds other flavouring well. Maybe that extra 1/2 cup butter made the difference?
Like said above it helps if you chill your cakes for a bit before stacking...for buttercream. For fondant cakes I usually wait until the fondant has firmed up a bit before stacking.
all i can say is ...wow
One of my very first cakes was a basketball. It was my first carved cake and the ball was a full sized basketball all cake. It took me over 17 hours of work and wasn't cheap seen as I used a FS carving recipe and there was quite a bit of fondant. Making a round carved cake ...I never knew because it was my first that it was such a pia . I charged 40 because it was a kid in my daughters class. I still kick myself for that one. I really never know what to charge friends and...
I definitely do not think you overcharged at all! 3D's cakes like others have said are hard work and specialty. You can't just go pick one up at walmart and if you could , well it would be a walmart cake. They are made fast, cheap and the taste and look reflect that. I once was asked by a friend for a 1/2 slab buttercream transfer Dora cake that I had made for someone else. The ingredients alone were 40 and the time you spend making the transfer not to mention baking and...