Posts by gingerlycreative

Forgive me if this question has come up before and been answered before. I searched the forums and didn't really see an answer. I have also been searching online and can't really seem to find what I'm looking for. So here is the question -I generally only make 3 layer cakes (round and square). I like the look of them and find that once I've let the layers compress and settle a bit,etc, the height is pretty much perfect. The issue, of course, is that all the charts are...
Of course I saw the badge. But I honestly didn't see the link in the first response and I thought the reply was kinda mean-ish. Oh well. Just messin.
I didn't see the above link from Leah S when I read your first message. After clicking the link, I see what you mean about adding pressure.I shall try it. I would look at your cakes to see how perfect and flawless they are, but you seem to have none in your gallery.
Thanks all! I think I might try that smooshing with the tile trick. I never even knew such a thing was possible! This will really help when I do the wedding cake next month for the bride who started all of this icing mess in the first place. Because her filling is Bavarian cream- I knew I was REALLY going to get the bulge, even with an icing dam.
Well, the problem is, this NEVER happened with my old BC recipe -the too sweet/too thick one. So it's got to be the icing.
I started using a less-sweet buttercream recipe (based on Sugar Shack's recipe) after a bride complained that my sample was just too sweet for her. Of course, as soon as I mentioned the complaint, several family members chimed in "It is awfully sweet." So -I decided to go ahead and fix it. The "fixed" version is, in a word, fantastic. So delicious. But . . .it's still a bit on the thin side. In fact, the past several cakes I've done end up getting a "fat roll" where...
I've been searching everywhere to see if I could find some sort of chart that would tell me what the serving size becomes as you add layers. I know for a fact that you can get more servings out of a 4 layer 8 inch cake versus a 2 layer. I did a four layer tall 8-inch for my son's birthday and we fed 26 people with 1/3 of the cake left over. However, this information seems to be nowhere. Everything is based on a 2 layer cake. I'm trying to feed 40-50 people using a...
I just got a request for a quote on a cake that's pretty simple overall (just a square covered in fondant with minimal decorations) but the girl wants two fondant figures on top sculpted to look like her parents. I have no idea what I should charge for these figures. They will both be seated and I don't think they'll be that big - the cake will be an 8 inch square. I've sculpted a few figures so far and love doing it, but . . .I'm just not sure what to charge her. Any...
Thanks for all the feedback all! This is really helpful! I do have a small SUV that we can use. And I think I will put the cake on a yoga mat as they are sticky and the cake surely wont' slide. Wish me luck!
I'm making my first wedding cake in 2 weeks. Am very nervous. Just started decorating in June and though I feel I'm pretty good at it, a wedding cake is a totally different story. I'm planning to do three tiers with the petal effect on each tier - the one where you pipe large balls of icing and then smear them with the small offset spatula. It looks like petals or even scales - which is cool because the coups loves dragons.Anyway - my question is, do I assemble this...