Posts by Prima

Hi, sorry, I know this is a late reply, but yes I used it as a filling with the dam method & SMBC.  It thickens nicely in the fridge.  Just make sure your dam is slightly higher than the filling, so nothing oozes out when you stack & crumb coat.  Also, just a reminder, since the filling has egg yolks in it, it is perishable.  Be sure to refrigerate the cake until shortly before serving time.
Thanks!  I ended up using Jennifer's white cake recipe from her blog.  I found it had the best overall coconut flavor and a delicate crumb, which was what I was after.  I substituted coconut milk for the buttermilk & sour cream, and added coconut extract.  The link to her recipe is below:   http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/
I wanted to thank everyone for all your help.  The cake turned out great, and everyone loved it at the New Year's party.  I ended up doing a 2-tier, rather than 3, because we had tons of other desserts.  The bottom tier was german chocolate with toasted coconut & pecan filling, covered in chocolate ganache.  The top tier was coconut with raspberry filling & white chocolate ganache.  The whole cake was covered in coconut fondant (coconut milk & coconut extract worked...
Wow, thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.  I think the idea of a white chocolate coconut mud cake sounds delicious.  I can picture this filled with fresh raspberries & raspberry curd, then covered in white chocolate ganache.  Yum yum.   I will of course try this before hand.  I think I will try a version this weekend, and if it works, I'll feed it to my family as a christmas eve treat!  So far, I've found a couple recipes, I just need to decide which one to...
Ahhh, that's a great idea to bake 1/2 layers.  Why hadn't I thought of that?    Thanks for the suggestion for the cake mix.  I try to bake 100% scratch, as I don't like the chemical taste I get from box mixes.  But I am not one of those who is adamently opposed to doctored mixes.  I'll continue my search for a great scratch recipe, but I may try out the doctored mix on my kids & see what they think.   Thanks again!
BakingIrene,   Thank you for your reply.  I always use supports for my cakes.  However, when I use a cake recipe that is especially moist or delicate, I find I have trouble torting & stacking the individual layers.  I am usually fine once I get the layers assembled & crumb coated, but the assembly of the delicate layers gives me trouble.  I was concerned that I would have the same problem with a moist coconut cake recipe.  This was the reason I was looking for...
I'm planning a three tiered cake for a New Year's Eve party.  One tier will be german chocolate inspired with dark chocolate cake & coconut pecan filling & chocolate ganache (or perhaps some toated pecan buttercream).  I'd love to make a second tier out of coconut cake (filling still to be decided).  However, I'm having difficulty locating a coconut cake recipe that is dense enough to hold up to stacking without turning out "muffiny".  Does anyone have a great...
IMHO, the addition of coffee in the recipe intensifies and balances the flavor of the chocolate. (Just like adding salt to a steak brings out flavors of the meat, or lemon brightens the flavors of a sauce). You don't taste the coffee in the final product, just rich dark chocolate. And I always go heavy on the vanilla. Sometimes these "tricks of the trade" are used to highlight the main ingredient, not mask them. Just my opinion, but I would never want to scare...
In a nutshell, no, generally you can't substitute Dutch process cocoa for natural cocoa. Dutch process cocoa powder is made from cocoa beans that have been washed with a potassium solution to neutralize their acidity. Natural cocoa powder are beans that have been roasted & ground. Because natural cocoa powder hasn't had its acidity tempered, it's paired with baking soda in batter recipes. Dutch process cocoa is paired with baking powder. While I love Valhrona, Schaffer...
Ha ha, that's my architecture training applied to caking.