Posts by experimenting

Your samples: cut 1"x1" put into cups sideways, then piped a dollop of the frosting next to it? Thank you! I know it's a small detail that I may have figured out on my own, but I couldn't picture it, so I definitely appreciate the tip! How big was your space? I have a 10'x10' booth with an 8' table included. I was thinking ~10 dummies, but am wondering if less would be better. Thanks for responding! Your show sounds like what I'll be doing. It's great to hear that you had...
My thoughts exactly! And this is my first expo      FromScratchSF: I know you're trying to help and I really do appreciate the suggestion, which is why I asked the event coordinator about it. Unfortunately, she did say no to the cake samples in the bags, even after I explained they would be in lidded cups. She didn't say anything about possibly putting them in myself and I didn't think to ask. Maybe I'll ask if they'll allow me to do that. That's another good idea about...
I can put something in their gift bags, but they usually will only put a flyer or business card in them for you. The bags are actually from Men's Warehouse. The event sponsor gets the bags the day before the show, so they think anything more than a piece of paper to add to the bags would be too much for them to handle. It sounds like the huge expo you're referring to might be what I can expect at this expo. Now, I'm worried (more than I already was)  Did I mention that...
Thank you for the input and advice everyone! Annabakescakes: Wow! I hope I can handle everyone as classy and professional as you     I just spoke with the people in charge of the expo and they're expecting about 800 brides and maybe 3000 in total attendance. I agree that I should definitely not be restrictive in who gets my samples, but if I account for 3000 attendees, that means 3000 samples and that's not including vendors. Then, if I do 2 flavors, that means...
One more question: what size souffle cups do you get? I've found 2oz. - 5.5oz. cups on amazon. Obviously, the bigger ones cost a little more, but I don't see the dimensions and can't picture how large these cups are. 
I had something similar happen to me recently, but not as bad. Someone from across the country "liked" my picture and so did her friend. Then, that friend commented  on the picture, "Suzy (or whatever her name was), did you make this?" "Suzy" responded that it was not her cake and that she was just "liking" a great piece of work. So I thought that was great of her to respond that way and that was that. Then, the friend comments again, "You can make this!" I thought about...
I'm doing my first wedding expo next month and have been reading the threads on it. I think I've found most of my answers, but still have a few.   I think I will go with one flavor for my samples. What flavor? I'm thinking white cake with buttercream. American BC or SMBC? I plan on putting a small sample in a souffle cup with a lid cut from a sheet cake. Maybe a silly question, but for those that do it this way, do you have enough room to pipe a small dollop of your...
Does anyone refuse to put real flowers on their cakes?   1. I'm scared of the flower bleeding colors onto the cake. 2. I'm not comfortable with it NOT poisoning my customers. 3. I'm not really sure that it's okay to do under the cottage food law anyway, but I'll just have to ask about that.   Are these silly concerns?
I am not a computer person at all either. I have a Mac and CakeBoss. I do not have Parallels. I have Windows though. All I need to do is use Bootcamp, which I believe came with the computer, to switch over to the Windows side where I was able to install CakeBoss. It's a little bit of a pain because switching back and forth requires restarting the computer. So, while Parallels is not required, it would make life a little easier. Parallels allows your computer to run Windows...
Thank you for responding jason_kraft and Annabakescakes!   This is my plan also:  "The number of servings doesn't factor into my pricing equation at all, except to provide a handy reference number for customers to use for comparison purposes." Was it ever a concern for you that a customer might be comparing your prices with another decorator, as Annabakescakes explained? If a customer were shopping around (bride or not) and I quoted # servings based off of Earlene's and...