Posts by experimenting

I agree, but the way I was thinking of it was this: I can take twice as long to do what my husband painted and charge half as much per hour and come out on the other end with the same price, but the painting would still not be as good.   Do you mean you charge extra per hour than other design elements?   This is what I was thinking. The cake artist 2 hours from us that I was referring to is very well-known and established and I've seen a few of her hand-painted cakes...
I have a question that I sort of have an answer to on my own, but wanted some other opinions. Do you charge differently for different skills, or do you charge purely for the time it takes to complete a design? To be more specific, my husband has been hand painting a few cakes that we will use for display for a wedding expo next week. No stencils or transfers. Completely free hand. They are amazing (not that I'm biased ;) with a lot of detail. In my research of bakeries...
I like this!  That's a great last name to play with :)
A chef's coat says to me that you've gone to culinary school. Is that a misconception?
Do you all feel the same for a bridal expo? Is a polo with an embroidered logo okay or would nicer attire be recommended?
You're welcome ShannonDavie    DanaG21: I did not submit cream cheese frosting for approval. I did ask about it though and they would've approved it as long as the recipe had a high enough sugar content.   Other items that they may not approve according to their rules of being shelf stable, you can send it out to a lab to be tested to show that it will be shelf stable.    Another piece of advice: The law is still pretty new here in WA and not everyone is on...
The people of CC have been so helpful to me that I'm more than happy to help someone else out for a change  I didn't want to risk annoying my regional manager either, even though he was quite nice. I compiled as many questions as I could before each call to him vs. calling after each question that came up.    I have some frostings that are flavored with fruit oils or extracts. I do have a mango buttercream that contains mango puree that was approved. For that one,...
I got my CFO permit approved recently from WA state. I don't know how much the rules vary between counties, but I can tell you what I know from my county (Thurston). Pureed strawberry is not ok to put directly on your baked goods, such as between layers of a cake. However, you can put fruit in your batter. My banana and carrot cake recipes, which I put fresh bananas and carrots in, were approved because the bananas and carrots will be cooked. As long as there is a cook...
Thanks for clarifying cai0312! Thanks for responding and sharing a picture kvand! My booth will be the same size as yours with an 8' table included. I also plan on bringing my 6' table and forming the 2 tables into an L shape, so it's nice to see that yours worked well. Good point on people grabbing a cupcake and running off. I actually plan to have my samples sort of towards the corner if my L shape so that people have to walk into my booth to get one. Also a great point...
I love that commercial!