Posts by experimenting

Yes, they want me to up my sugar to the 3:1 ratio. That's just too much of a change. They said I could get them lab tested, but I chose not to this time. What I did was submit 2 versions of my SMBC recipes. One version has vegan butter instead of butter, and the other version is a completely different vegan SMBC recipe. It looks like those will get approved. I did the same for my ganache and those look like they'll be getting approved as well. I got my second notice last...
I just got an email back regarding my renewal. It's 9 pages long and full of things I need to change. Very frustrated right now!Yes, my SMBC that was approved last year is now "pending approval." I need to up the sugar. I understand the learning curve and having the same standards for everyone. What makes me angry is that I have weddings booked for this summer where I'm supposed to use recipes that I now need to change. It's really unfair for me to have to change recipes...
Thank you LaurenSadler! I wanted a "blingy" cake up high to get people's attention :) That's a good idea about having a reserve for the vendors. It's definitely a good strategy to get in good with other vendors. BTW, your cakes looked fantastic! Oh, and I know what you mean about people touching the cakes. Both shows I've done, people just like to touch! I kept saying to my husband, "If they were at a wedding, would they just go up and touch the wedding cake? No, right?...
I've only done 2 bridal shows and I would be careful about setting limits on your samples. I was worried about that too, but it's better to appear generous than stingy. Luckily, I've had more than enough at both shows. I gave some to every vendor there towards the end of the show. I also noticed people coming back for 2nds and 3rds and always told them to take as many as they wanted, regardless of who they were. I think people notice. In fact, at my first show I made a few...
I just submitted my renewal last Friday. I wish I submitted it sooner, but I did a wedding expo 1/19, so I worked on my paperwork right after that. It would've been much easier if I wasn't submitting any new recipes. I went to the Dept. of Ag. in person to submit it and someone came out to talk with me briefly. She said that they will be reviewing all of my old recipes again as a lot of things have changed and things are a lot stricter. For example, she said that Swiss...
Thank you Stitches! Good point about people cutting through my booth to round the corner. We'll keep that in mind as we play around with our setup. I appreciate you sharing your experience and ideas with me    One follow up question: does anyone do groom's cakes at expos? I've never seen it done, but wonder if I should do one within the group.
Thank you for all the feedback Stitches. I will definitely be adding more colors to this group of display cakes.I've lucked out and have a corner booth this time. I think I will have 2 tables in an "L" shape, then maybe a smaller round/square table out front. I'm hoping this creates some movement and doesn't make anyone feel like they'd be trapped if they stepped in. I'm hoping the different levels of cake will allow people to see my cakes on higher levels if I get a crowd...
Thanks for the feedback Godot! I was planning on a little more color this time and maybe more cakes on pedestals so I can have them at different levels. I know I had those awful creases! Those were definitely a last minute addition and I didn't consider the  creases until it was too late. I'll blame it on my inexperience :/ That won't happen this year!
No one does free hand painting on the same scale and/or not as well. The closest bakery that does is about 2 hours away. You got me on my website. I haven't updated it in quite a while. I will before the expo and I'll make sure to talk about our painting. What do you mean about pushing it more prominently in booth signage? Have it on my banner? Have other signs advertising it? I'm figuring on having 6-8 display cakes with 2 fully hand painted. Do you think I should have...
  jason_kraft: My prices are right around average for my area. The one thing we do that no one else in my area does (that I've seen) is free hand painting work. I plan on having 2 hand painted cakes on display.