Posts by hieperdepiep

For my European ears a German chocolate cake would be a "schwarzwalderkirschtorte"- cake. A chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate trempered with kirsch and filled with cherryfilling and whipped cream.
wow, you make me blush!Youre welcome to have a slice here, just paddle 4000 miles or so..
Thanks for your answers. I care for my little pockets as well You got me curious about the real heating nails. Haven't seen them here in the Netherlands..
You just gave me some new insight. I sometimes have a dome and I always , after 2 minutes of coolling, get the cake out of the pan and put it upside down for further cooling. This gives a little pressure the other way and makes the cake level, bottom is now top. Would that pressure ruin some of my texture?
It depends on the cake-recipe if the batter rises high enough and keeps stable. A white cake is better baked in several pans. I also use a 'biscuit'-recipe, French for a airy batter witch has no butter (so needs trempation, and lots of layers) wich I always bake in an 3 or 4 inch pan.This cake is made in a 4 inch pan. The batter was not filled to the maximum (2- third); the cake came out almost 3,5 inch high. I could slice it 4 times and after filling it was more than 4...
When you do want a BC as your base, mixing melted (and cooled a little) chocolate, (white or pure) also firms up the BC a bit. The more chocolate and the less butter makes it firmer. You can choose half BC- half ganache. Ending up with ganache if you don't want any butter and a really firm frosting. When you store your cake overnight in the refridgerator the inner cold temperature of the cake helps prevent melting as well. But I am not from a hot climate, so maybe there...
I have this recipe: 450 gram chocolate 125 ml glucose2 tsp ice cold water. Do not put more water in, or you wouldn't be able to get an emulsion) Melt the chocolate. Warm the glucose a little, by putting it in a bath of hot water. Pour the glucose with the chocolate and stir. Put in the cold water. It firms up to a ball. Kneed it. Wipe away the fat that comes out. Rest for a night in the refrigerator. Before use warm again a little in the microwave (not too long!)
I don't find the Italian buttercream very difficult, but no... it is not a forgiving recipee. You must follow the instructions on temperatures quite precize. The fun part is actually putting the hot sugar with the eggwhites, to me. It makes you feel the best scratch-baker.
I think I will go further witm my 10% flour en still substitute 1 T per cup for ultimate protein-content.I heard bleaching makes the flour taking up more water .. or something like that. And gives less protein (as in Jasonkrafts link) Wich would be better for the crumb..?? And the white color ofcourse. So another thing we don't have here. Althougt bleaching sounds chemical to me.. in my -from scratch- ears.. Suppose it is not sun-dried bleached..
Thanks for the link.So I think I will try the 10% flour first for the white cake, but I will be keep on looking for better flour. Would it be better if I still would substitute some flour for cornstarch to reduce the amount of protein to 8 or 9 %?